2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

CB Antenna on a 4 dr

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 07:02 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road
Default CB Antenna on a 4 dr

What type of antenna mount has other's used on the luggage rack?

I presently have a mag mount, but the antenna is not very good and I would like to get a Firestik, but have been unable to find a mount that will clamp onto the cross rails.

And I am still trying to figure out how to route the coax without drilling a hole.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Starting Member
serrasalmus is on a distinguished road

the best antenna for you to use is a wilson 1k or 5k mag mount if u dont want to puck mount it. depending on what kind of radio u use will depend on the best location for the antenna but useally the best is in the middle of the roof or just in front of the end of the roof rack. if your going to run a high powered radio you must put it in the back of the roof or you reflected power will be to high and will cause swr issues

you can check out my install in my build thread
https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds...ink-one-68275/

Last edited by serrasalmus; 02-26-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Park is on a distinguished road

I have a mag mount for now as well. My cord runs through the top of the rear glass hatch then along the top on the driver side roof to the a pillar. From the a pillar it runs down behind my pedals to my CB. For mounting on the roof rack I'd get a side mirror mount for a semi then drill holes in the rear bar then bolt the mount to the bar. then you can either run the cord in the same way I have it or through one of the rear door jams. When it gets warm out you can always pull interior panels to hide the cable some what.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:10 PM

I currently have a K30 mag mount, in the center of the roof. SWR is only good for about half of the channels...just not a broadband antenna at all.
Reception is quite good though....here in Tucson, AZ I hear lots of talk from Kentucky, Carolina's, Michigan. Makes me wonder how much power these guys are running.

I was not going to run any power....just the 4 Watt limit and need a more broadband antenna and was looking at the Firestik with the continous load instead of another base loaded....again trying to increase broadband and get the SWR lower.

Park: I would sure like to see a picture of how you have the coax routed through the top of the rear hatch glass. Right now I have the coax just going through the passenger rear door window...which is fine until it gets hot here and I will want to close the window tight to keep the cool A/C air in.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Starting Member

fiberglass is for boat stay away from them for antennas....if you mount one with a mirror bracket to your roof rack you will not have any couterpoise and will have very high swr...
the k30 is a crap antenna a wilson 1k or 5k will blow it out of the water, for that matter the lil wil is even better then the k30 but not by much. mag mounts work by inductive grounding and need a large surface area to use as counterpoise, thats why they done need a seprate ground wire

if u want to run a rack mount you must attach a seprate ground wire to the bracket to a exposed spot on the body and it must be with tinned copper ground strap not round wire, rf travels on the outside of the surface of the wire and round wire will be very ineffective....

when i was using my lil will mag mount i put it on the rear of the blazer just behind where the roof rack started and ran my coax in the same spot the wire and tubing run for the rear wiper, then i took off side panels and ran my coax on pass side to radio under the carpet..im a wire **** i hate them showing...

Old 02-27-2012, 06:13 PM

Well I sure agree about the K30 being a piece of crap.

I have been looking at the Wilson 1000 today....seems to be the one to get. Just wondering what all that 62" whip is going to hit!!

I will need to take another look at where the wiper and washer line run.

Thanks for the responses.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Starting Member

np hit me up if u ever need any radio help...

Old 02-27-2012, 06:33 PM

Sorry it took me so long to get back on. Tomorrow when the sun comes up I'll take some pictures on how I ran my cable with the cell and figure out how to post them for you.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:10 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know I am a little late to this issue but I have posted before how I sucessfully run two separate antennas mounted to the rack and properly grounded them and did so almost invisably and drilled no holes either. I am an FCC licensed operator and utilize 2 radios in my 97: 2 meter & 10 meter (not at the same time,obviously) and have had no issues since installing this set-up 2 years ago. If you want to know more there are many sources (not just Blazerforum) that can help you! Or re-question me. step66

Old 02-28-2012, 06:59 PM

Here are the pictures of how I got the cable inside the truck. If you would like to see a little more take a look at my garage album. Sorry it took me so long. I woke up a bit late.

Attached Thumbnails CB Antenna on a 4 dr-photo0212.jpg   CB Antenna on a 4 dr-photo0213.jpg