2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Charcoal canister problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 04:03 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Question Charcoal canister problem

Hey group Im running into a problem with finding a vapor canister for 96 chevy jimmy.The part list retail for $180 at autozone.It is the round cylinder type but made smaller so that it fit underneath the air filter box.Was there a change in the in what the canisters location is on the newer years? If so can I change mine to a newer year and what mods would be involved?

Old 04-20-2015, 06:24 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

This should be the vapor canister on your 1996. Inside the left rear quarter panel, behind the tire. BWD Vapor Canister CP1203: Advance Auto Parts#

Old 04-21-2015, 03:46 PM
Question

Ok thanx these trucks are so mind boggling crazy.Some of them are molded into the top of the gas tank.
Autozone shows mine as being the round cylinder type,this has realy got me confused.Is the charcoal canister the samething as a vapor canister?

Old 04-21-2015, 04:03 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Charcoal canister, purge canister, & vapor canister are all the same thing, just different names for it. Not part of the fuel tank, not round, and not under the air filter box on your Jimmy.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:36 AM
Question

So this would be my charcoal canister

Attached Thumbnails Charcoal canister problem-images8ssarng0.jpg  
Old 04-22-2015, 10:05 AM

Chuck I didn't mean its part of the gas tank,What I meant is that the gas tank has a round hole for the charcoal canister to fit inside on the top of the tank.I apologise if it seems like Im doubting your knowledge but 3 different auto parts stores all show a different shaped canister.
Vapor Canister at AutoZone.com - Best Vapor Canister Parts for Cars, Trucks & SUVS

Old 04-22-2015, 02:25 PM

GM catalog shows part #17113327 for 2 door and 4 door in 1996, (Google image search it). http://www.newgmparts.com/gmc/jimmy/...vapor-canister Doesn't look anything like the AZ one you posted. On 2 door vehicles, it's in the left rear 1/4 panel behind the tire, not sure where 1996 4 door is mounted.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 04-22-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:07 AM

I could be wrong because its been a long time but Im pretty sure it was in the engine compartment somewhere otherwise I wouldn't have removed it.If memory serves me correctly it went underneath the airbox in the front of the vehicle.The 96`s must be very rare because I have been looking for another to match up for comparison purposes.So far I have found tons of 95`s,97`s and up in junk yards and where ever I see a blazer with a similar grill.I`ll take a look where you said it supposed to be and see if I can find anything that looks similar to the pictures you have posted.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:03 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

The charcoal canister on my 96 is in the left rear quarter panel like Captain Hook said. The 96 and 97 should be the same for most things.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:39 PM
Question

Strange as it may seem there are actualy 2 vapor canisters on the 96 and also possibly later years also.I was under mine today and found the round cylinder type on top of the gas tank in a hole that's molded for it to fit into.I also found the rectangle vapor canister behind the rear tire on the left quarter panel as Chuck and El_Beautor mentioned.So thanks for both of you helping me solve this peace of the puzzle.

El_Beautor if I may ask you a favor can you look at your 96 and see if there 1 or 2 positive wires mounted to altenator?

Quick Reply: Charcoal canister problem