2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Chasing recurring oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 08:06 AM
TDS-MN is on a distinguished road
Default Chasing recurring oil leak

Hey All,

I'm looking for ideas to solve the oil leak issue I'm having. Have thrown some parts at it so far, and it's still dripping.

At the adapter on the engine, which the lines up to the filter connect, I'm losing a golf-ball sized puddle of oil each time I park. I had the lines themselves replaced at a local shop a couple months ago. And soon afterwards I had to take it back to them, as it was leaking at this adapter. They replaced whatever type of seal there is between the adapter and the block, and it was good for a while. Then it started dropping oil again, and that's where I am now. Considering taking it back to the shop again, but if anyone here has ideas that I can try myself, I'd be open to doing that.

What is the seal in there? Is it a big o-ring? Could I possibly add some silicone in addition or in place of the seal? The lines all still look nice and dry, I'm quite certain that the leak starts here at least.

Any ideas or things I could check?

Old 04-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Starting Member
rezlab will become famous soon enough

i have the same problem its always leaving a little puddle when it sits over night and i cant find where its coming from to me it looks like the drain plug on the oil pan but i could be very wrong. ill have to check my lines to see if i can find it and hopfully help you out

Old 04-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

There's more than just an O ring and silicone will not seal it. The adapter has to be removed to replace all of the gaskets:
Buy Felpro Oil Cooler Mounting Set ES 70016 at Advance Auto Parts_____

Old 04-23-2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
There's more than just an O ring and silicone will not seal it. The adapter has to be removed to replace all of the gaskets:
Buy Felpro Oil Cooler Mounting Set ES 70016 at Advance Auto Parts_____
Oh, thanks. That looks promising. I have had good luck with all other felpro products that I've used. I'm surprised there are so many pieces.

That is what it seems like, that I'll be removing the adapter. Hoping that I can keep the lines connected during the process, but I can't recall how good the access is, I'll need to look closer next time I'm under there.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

You'll need to take the lines off of the adapter, but you don't need to remove them from the vehicle. Make sure you have a new gasket, Dorman Help! 66201 - Oil Cooler Line Gasket Assortment | O'Reilly Auto Parts don't reuse the old one. Torque for the lines is 26 foot pounds. If they are over or under torqued, they will leak.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:58 PM

Ah, good to know. I have actually purchased some of the single gaskets from O'Reilly when i was fighting leaking lines at the oil filter adapter a while back. I had good luck with those actually, so I'll be sure to grab the kit mentioned, looks like i should be able to finish the whole job up for not too much in parts, that is nice. I've been wanting to run some synthetic oil, but it's too expensinve to let it drip out like it has been. . . . Maybe soon!