2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Check Engine Light Comes on when going up hills

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 03:05 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Check Engine Light Comes on when going up hills

tune up is a pretty common response to a misfire code. you could have a coolant pressure test done to see if youve got gasket issues, or you can do some investigating on your own. Check your coolant level, check your oil for signs of coolant/oil mixing, and you could even pull the plug in cylinder 1 (code would be P0301 by the way..p030x is misfire, the last digit indicates cylinder). If the plug is all nice and sparkling clean, youve been burning coolant and youre steam cleaning the plug.

good luck!

Old 11-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

As I said before, anything that was brought up prior to getting the codes read was/is pure speculation. You do not smell coolant leaking into the cylinders while you are driving down the road. I do not even know why it was brought up as a headgasket failure would have several other symptoms associated. More than likely, what he was smelling was the overflow bottle getting full and venting some coolant. Not good, but not the end of the world either.

I would definitely recommend a tune up as well as a cleaning of the radiator. Going up a long hill will produce some added heat for sure, but it should not result in your vehicle overheating. You definitely want to make sure that there is no debris stopping up the air flow through the radiator. While you are at it, you may want to throw a new radiator cap on it. It is cheap insurance against too low of a cooling system pressure. The rated 16psi cap will keep the system from boiling over too quickly. An old cap may not hold the system at 16psi, reducing the boiling point of the coolant.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Starting Member
abadinalbany is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

You do not smell coolant leaking into the cylinders while you are driving down the road.
Sure ya do. Not as obvious as if you're behind the car, but you most certainly can. I know I have.

If it was overflow, then shouldn't there be at least some splash or drip visible? But the OP said nothing visible. And after the first few overflows, shouldn't it eventually subside to a point where it's not overflowing regularly, even when working hard?

These conditions perfectly match head gasket issues I've had on two different vehicles. It's not guaranteed to be head gasket, but I'm still putting my money there. Misfire due to poor atmosphere or low compression in the cylinder.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Kingman1901 is an unknown quantity at this point

Alright will do

thanks for all your help.

The only time I smell it is obviously when it Misfires.

I went up the hill going about 50 today staying around 2 - 3k RPM's
no check "engine light soon" came on, which was kinda nice.
I haven't gotten the "tune up" either yet. and it didn't smell after I got to the top as well.

I get my "tune up" next week apparently and I'll buy a new cap as well. then I'll go 65(speed limit) up that hill and let you know how it runs haha.

Since its a 98 with 114000 miles I'm betting its time for the problems to start coming.
We tried to pull a pretty big trailor with it and the radiator cracked.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

Which end were you pulling the trailer with???

lol

Old 11-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Kingman1901 is an unknown quantity at this point

lol what do you think.. the hitch in the back

it was to much pressure on the old thing.. 300+$ later..

Old 11-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: abadinalbany

Sure ya do. Not as obvious as if you're behind the car, but you most certainly can. I know I have.

If it was overflow, then shouldn't there be at least some splash or drip visible? But the OP said nothing visible. And after the first few overflows, shouldn't it eventually subside to a point where it's not overflowing regularly, even when working hard?

These conditions perfectly match head gasket issues I've had on two different vehicles. It's not guaranteed to be head gasket, but I'm still putting my money there. Misfire due to poor atmosphere or low compression in the cylinder.
My point here is that to just say that it is a head gasket without verification is pointless. Start with the simple things and work from there. Cleaning your radiator and replacing a radiator cap are simple, fast, and easy things to do that both have the potential to create the symptoms (if not all out cause) that the OP is experiencing. A hot running engine could cause pre-ignition which would be read as a misfire.