2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Cold Starting probelms....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 11:58 AM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Cold Starting probelms....

Well try buying a can of that heat stuff, that will get rid of the water in your lines which seems to be your problem. If it isnt that, you may have some fouled plugs, but I doubt that. I bet its just water in the lines.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: JustBlaze!
The only difference with my situation and yours is that once my truck has run, it will start again no problem until it is shut off for a few hours, then it will have a hard time starting again. I've checked the cables from the battery they are in great shape. I even put that conductive grease-like stuff to protect the battery terminals from corroding when I replaced the battery.

I looked through the list of things you replaced and did NOT see a new inline fuel filter. That's what I'm thinking my problem is. I'm replacing mine in the next few days and will let you know if that solves the problem.
Posted above is exactly the same situation I'm experiencing right now. In the morning, it's guaranteed to require 2-3 attempts before it will start up. This morning it was even colder than usual, so it took more than 5 attempts and a waiting period to unflood the engine. I thought about the fuel filter too, because 1) my battery is good, 2) I have new spark plugs/wires and distributor cap, and 3) I don't know when the fuel filter has ever been replaced, if ever. After the engine has been warm, it will usually start up again the first time without any problem.

ORIGINAL: BlazerRJM
The answer was the moisture / water in the fuel, everytime it would get below freezing the water in the line would freeze, hard may it seem, but that was the issue. I drained the tank and put new fresh fuel in with a bottle of "Heat" just for good measure and now it starts at whatever temp. It got down to Zero herethe other night and I went out at 1am to see if it would start, and no probelm started straight up.
What a concept! I will do this first. If it doesn't resolve the problem, then I will inspect all the wires to the battery, then replace the fuel filter, in that order. If anybody thinks there is something else I should check, please post back. Thanks.

Raphael

Old 01-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

For your problem Rapheal, I would do the fuel filter and dump a can of isoheat in right off the bat. For under $10 you can do both of these. I know its cold out, but the fuel filter shouldn't be that bad.

One other thing to try is to cycle the ignition a few times to prime the fuel pressure. If there is a leak down in pressure, it may take a few key "ON" cycles to fully pressurize the system.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:21 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

For your problem Rapheal, I would do the fuel filter and dump a can of isoheat in right off the bat. For under $10 you can do both of these. I know its cold out, but the fuel filter shouldn't be that bad.

One other thing to try is to cycle the ignition a few times to prime the fuel pressure. If there is a leak down in pressure, it may take a few key "ON" cycles to fully pressurize the system.
Kyle, I missed your response until now. I actually figured that cycling method out already and have been doing that. I also replaced the fuel filter, which didn't help. But where can I get this Isoheat stuff from? I can't seem to find it anywhere! I'll check my local parts stores again. LOL

For anybody else experiencing the same problem, the rest of the things I'm checking are on this thread.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:42 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

[/quote]

...But where can I get this Isoheat stuff from? I can't seem to find it anywhere! I'll check my local parts stores again. LOL

[/quote]
This site might explain why it's difficult for you to find, but check their list of retailers.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:27 AM

I actually found some this weekend at Advance Auto. This time they had it in stock. The engine runs better, but the starting problem is still there. I'm pretty sure now it's the starter itself, because yesterday while I was replacing my water pump, I peeped through the wheel well and saw it. It's all rusted out. Salty winters and summer muddin' have taken their toll. I'm just praying it lasts until next weekend, when I will have the time to actually work on it. LOL