2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Cold temp. starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Starting Member
Smoked is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Cold temp. starting issue

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Yes, the IAC valve is in the throttle body. It can be removed without removing the throttle body, but it can prove to be quite challenging to get the lower bolt (regular torx bit) back in. You will definitely want to magnetize the bit so that the bolt will stay on it.
Thanks... i might just take the tb off... i had it off my 3.8 enough times i should be able to manage.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Just be careful with the little plastic clip on the cruise cable.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Starting Member

Okay... i plugged in the block heater last night and this morning it fired up like it was 30 deg in the middle of summer! That confirms my temp suspicion. So my question... what does the block heater heat up... the temp guage inside read warm so i imagine the coolant and thus ect reads warmer... would the iat read warmer too?

Old 11-08-2008, 07:25 AM
scorpdad is an unknown quantity at this point

I was having the same issues, replaced everything including battery. Seemed like electrics was the issue because when I left the charger on it or jumped it with another vehicle it would start. Found the following page, check the symptoms section:
http://www.2carpros.com/forum/1996-c...-vt174360.html

Those were my exact symptoms. Did the fuel pump and tank job yesterdayand fired up first time this morning after sitting all night.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: scorpdad

I was having the same issues, replaced everything including battery. Seemed like electrics was the issue because when I left the charger on it or jumped it with another vehicle it would start. Found the following page, check the symptoms section:
http://www.2carpros.com/forum/1996-c...-vt174360.html

Those were my exact symptoms. Did the fuel pump and tank job yesterdayand fired up first time this morning after sitting all night.

Those aren't quite my exact symptoms. I have 60psi and it holds during the cold start problem. Was your pressure good or a bit low?

UPdateforgive my explanation), but my initial timing was -8deg so i had the dist hold down ground so the dist could be adjusted. It's now -1 and the correct re-learning was done. Unfortunately this didn't help my startup problem. We also checked out the IAC valve... he could open and close it with the scanner..and on a cold morning when it was acting up I held the pedal at various positions to no effect. The only thing thatworks is the block heater.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ran any injector cleaner through this truck? Overdose it to really get a good cleaning action. I would use two 20gallon treatments of Chevron Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner Plus. The reason why I say this now is that I experienced a very similar thing with my parents car when we parked it outside one night when it was below zero (-15*F) without the windchill and the wind was howling. Ended up that the injectors were sticking due to the cold. We solved it with a simple drop light (60w bulb) placed on top of the engine with a blanket over it. Ran some injector cleaner through it and the problem went away.

Food for thought. These injectors used in these engines are known for buildup.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Have you ran any injector cleaner through this truck? Overdose it to really get a good cleaning action. I would use two 20gallon treatments of Chevron Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner Plus. The reason why I say this now is that I experienced a very similar thing with my parents car when we parked it outside one night when it was below zero (-15*F) without the windchill and the wind was howling. Ended up that the injectors were sticking due to the cold. We solved it with a simple drop light (60w bulb) placed on top of the engine with a blanket over it. Ran some injector cleaner through it and the problem went away.

Food for thought. These injectors used in these engines are known for buildup.
I have run a bottle of Lucas Fuel injector cleaner through it... but it's a small bottle Not sure how available the chevron with techron is in canada?? I can try to overdose it.

I'm not 100% clear on your fix for your parents car...you used the drop light once and then with the cleaner the problem went away?

To tie this to my block heater angle... would running the block heater overnight heat up the injectors a bit? If they would be heated up then i can see this as a possibility.

Keep in mind also that the outside temp only need be 5degrees above celcius(at time of startup attempt)for the cold starting problem to occur... sub zero temps are not necessary.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Administrator

On my parents car, the heat of the drop light was enough to warm the injectors, allowing them to properly open and close.

Your problem sounds eerily similar which is why I brought that up. Yours just may be that they are gummed up to the point where even 5*C temps cause them to not want to open. You have to remember, you need to open two valves with the fuel injection system on these trucks. #1 is the electronic injector. #2 is the pressure actuated poppet nozzle on the other end of the tube, fixed into a bore on the lower intake manifold.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Starting Member

Alright, i'll give that a shot... assuming I cannot find the chevron ... are there other brands that are better or worse than others? Or should I be able to get the chevron in southern ontario?

Old 11-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Administrator

I would hope you could find Chevron... GM has their branded cleaner that will work just as good (I think it is Chevron made anyway).

Quick Reply: Cold temp. starting issue