2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Crank, no start, sometimes sputters

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 02:19 PM
kmenc67 is on a distinguished road
Default Crank, no start, sometimes sputters

2003 ZR2

So I drove to the store last night with no issues, but when leaving suddenly had a very difficult time getting the vehicle started. It sputtered and cranked, and when I pumped the gas a bit it roared up roughly for a second and then settled in. About 1/4 mile later everything just died as if it ran out of gas. Trying to get it going again it just did the classic crank but no start. Plenty of fuel and can hear the fuel pump activating. New battery and fuel filter. This morning it sputtered roughly a little bit with pumping the gas but immediately dies. No new misfire or other codes coming up other than the same evap codes I've been trying to figure out for the last couple of months.. Does this sound like a distributor issue?

Last edited by kmenc67; 01-30-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:01 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Sounds more like the fuel pump is not getting up to pressure. Suggest getting a fuel pressure gauge onto the test port, see what the pressure is.

Old 01-30-2021, 05:42 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

What Lanny said.

In addition, since its intermittent you should travel with the ability to test fuel pressure and spark so that you can test both when it dies to cut your possibilities in half. Life is much easier if you can catch it in the act and confirm.

George

Old 02-02-2021, 12:49 PM

well, it's not intermittent since that night. It's just a full crank/no start situation now. Won't run at all.

I can rule out a distributor cap/rotor problem. Just replaced those today. It needed it anyway, the cap contacts were pretty corroded. But no change. I guess fuel pressure is next. Is that the test valve back by the distributor?

Old 02-02-2021, 01:00 PM
BF Veteran

I encourage you to do 2 things:

1) Do a proper spark test at the plug end(s). Your looking for 1" of strong blue spark with an even cadence with the starter rotation

2) Test fuel pressure per the sticky in this forum, going down to the fuel filter if you fail at the schrader.

Once you know which one is the problem I'll be more than happy to guide you to a solution. Keep in mind that replacing parts without verifying a failure can cause new problems because many after market parts are inferior to what may be a working AC Delco component. That said, I'll go with you any way you want to proceed. Even I have been known to take a stab at a part or two without exhaustive diagnosis but not on anything expensive or labor intensive.

George

Old 02-02-2021, 01:06 PM

Oh, I've only used Delco or Delphi parts when I've replaced anything. New cap & rotor are Delco and the new fuel filter is a Fram. Unfortunately I'm stuck doing this myself so it's going to be difficult monitoring tests while trying to crank it. Will probably have to try recording with the phone.

I'm leaning toward the fuel pump since I've been having some other issues. Fuel gauge has been dead for a while and been unable to find the source of that. Plus P0446 and P0452 evap codes. Replaced the tank pressure sensor and vent solenoid (both Delco), but that didn't solve anything. I imagine the fuel gauge issue could be a failed float and the rest of the pump is crapping out, although I can hear it activating.

But will try to do the spark test first.

Last edited by kmenc67; 02-02-2021 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:23 PM
BF Veteran

Doesn't matter which one you do first. Nothing wrong with using other clues to pick your starting point. Just don't get stuck on a theory, let the results guide you.

George

Old 02-02-2021, 02:25 PM

So I dont have a fuel pressure gauge, I'll have to order one, but in the meantime I did a quick test of depressing the schrader valve. I did get some fuel coming out but not a lot. Was very weak and got weaker the more I depressed the pin until nothing was coming out. About 3 quick depressions was all it took to bleed off all the pressure. Am I right to assume it should take more then that?

Last edited by kmenc67; 02-02-2021 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 03:01 PM
BF Veteran

The fuel pump energizes at key on for a few seconds and then turns off if the truck is not started. The system stays pressurized until something bleeds the pressure down and then stays at zero pressure until the pump is energized again.

George

Old 02-17-2021, 04:06 PM

Update: It was the fuel pump. Had it replaced with a Denso pump assembly, but my fuel gauge is still stuck on empty. Still at a complete loss as to where that problem is coming from.

Quick Reply: Crank, no start, sometimes sputters