2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Crap load of problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 02:12 PM
Beginning Member
ihatefordz is on a distinguished road
Default Crap load of problems

I think I have electrical problems in my car. Im not quite sure so i'll list all my issues and maybe some can help.

1. My car is acting like my battery is real low. when I try to honk the horn everything on the inside dims and after holding it down the horn gives me a really weak honk. Last night I was arming my alarm it chirped really low.

2. When Im driving my dash turns off and resets itself or somethin and my security light turns on.

3. My fuel guage isn't working.

4. My ABS Module Needs to be rebuilt.

5. My AC only comes on if I splice and connect into the plug wire and appl 12 volts to it.

I can upload vids if anything doesnt make sense. I will add to this list as I notice more things.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:07 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Some of it sounds like bad/dirty battery terminals. clean em up. and see if it helps.

Go to autozone or advance auto and have them do a battery check. its free.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:38 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about
Talking

Originally Posted by ihatefordz
I think I have electrical problems in my car. Im not quite sure so i'll list all my issues and maybe some can help.
Well, well.. "ihatefordz".. karmas's a bitch, aint she! One thing I never had to worry much about with all the Mustangs and Taurii and Aerostars and Tbirds in my driveway was electrical problems. And they're good for parts runs to keep our GM cars running.
Hmm.. maybe I have a new sig line, there....
It's a fact that the #1 electrical problem -by far- in the Tbird {MN12} platform is power windows and locks. And those are usually down to bad switch assy's. Ign switch runs a far distant second.

I suggest you go first to Compnine.com and check out the harness routing for your vehicle. what you probably have is a bad splice, grounding point, or buss connection.
A second thought is bad ign switch for many of your problems... but hang on for more input.

Last edited by pettyfog; 09-24-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:32 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by chris015
Some of it sounds like bad/dirty battery terminals. clean em up. and see if it helps.

Go to autozone or advance auto and have them do a battery check. its free.
I did...but and it read good but my battery gauge on the inside is good.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:33 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Well, well.. "ihatefordz".. karmas's a bitch, aint she! One thing I never had to worry much about with all the Mustangs and Taurii and Aerostars and Tbirds in my driveway was electrical problems. And they're good for parts runs to keep our GM cars running.
Hmm.. maybe I have a new sig line, there....
It's a fact that the #1 electrical problem -by far- in the Tbird {MN12} platform is power windows and locks. And those are usually down to bad switch assy's. Ign switch runs a far distant second.

I suggest you go first to Compnine.com and check out the harness routing for your vehicle. what you probably have is a bad splice, grounding point, or buss connection.
A second thought is bad ign switch for many of your problems... but hang on for more input.
if i have a ground that is not properly secured what would that mean?

Old 09-24-2011, 08:44 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

check the ip fuse for 'clstr', # 11 on mine, for 12v in run position.

For grounds -which I suspect is your problem, there's nothing but to track them down. You're looking for black and black with white stripe wires. You might look in the major harnesses near steering column. strip back insulation a little and measure for voltage to grd.. should be .1 volt or less with key on.

Look for any wire terminal to frame under dash.

Last edited by pettyfog; 09-24-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by pettyfog
check the ip fuse for 'clstr', # 11 on mine, for 12v in run position.

For grounds -which I suspect is your problem, there's nothing but to track them down. You're looking for black and black with white stripe wires. You might look in the major harnesses near steering column. strip back insulation a little and measure for voltage to grd.. should be .1 volt or less with key on.

Look for any wire terminal to frame under dash.

ok will do. i will update tomorrow