2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

cylindar 6 missfire

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 03:48 AM
smokin stroker is on a distinguished road
Default cylindar 6 missfire

about a month or more ago i put a 2001 engine in my 97 cause mine spun a bearing and had 260000 miles the new one has right around 20000. got it all in had a cylindar three missfire all the time no matter what. so looked aT The wireing and the plug saw no issues. so decided it had to be the injector. wich it was took one off the old engine ad it worked fine.

now my issue is that cylindar six misses but only after the truck sits for a while like three plus hours. it will miss for about the first 5 miles of driving than clear right up. engine light will even go off if i run it enough. my question i guess would be is do you think this is a injector issue or something else? if so no big deal i kept the whole spider system off he other egine ill just pull it and swap the injector.

thanks

Old 05-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Starting Member
R134A is on a distinguished road
Default Misfire

First of all they are nozzles not injectors and how you change one is beyond me,You should change the spider as a assembly never disassemble anything on the spider or you are going to run into all kinds of problems. F.Y.I I just had a problem with my 2000 Jimmy with a 97 motor put into it but I had a p0300 which is a random misfire and I had a bad distributor runs great now. You have a single cylinder put a fuel pressure gauge on it that will tell you if you have a leaking nozzle or a bad pressure regulator. I would look at bad wires or cap and rotor I dont think you have a fuel problem.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Each injector/nozzle assembly is independently replaceable. Just remove the retention plate from the underside of the metering body and pull out the affected injector.

What you have to be careful of is mismatching flows from old vs. new injectors. Another thing is to make sure that you are not replacing an MFI injector (one with the electronic injector at the end of the hose) with an SCFI injector as they do not have the same base flow rate.

Now, about your #6 miss. How does the plug from that cylinder compare with the rest of the cylinders? Have you tested compression?

Old 05-13-2010, 07:31 PM
jaq62 is on a distinguished road

Have the same thing #6 misfire on my 96 s10. Changed the plugs rotor and cap and inspected the plug wires. Still have that misfire and rough idle. I am going after the injector next. Did you eventually change the #6 injector? How is your Blazer running?

Old 07-31-2010, 07:35 AM
Beginning Member
Tbiggs is on a distinguished road

help guys i got the same thing kinda going on and i need to get it fix asap this is my everyday, My cylinder 6 is misfiring. But after i drive it a bit it goes away... any ideas? i replaced my spark plugs and an about to do my wires,cap, and rotor here in a lil bit any ideas??

Old 08-01-2010, 12:00 PM
smokin stroker is on a distinguished road

Hi my problem ended up being the injector. I replaced the number six injecter and the regulator the truck ran great since. Idk how to check to see if they are really bad I knew I had new cap plugs and wires. So figure it couldn't have been those. Knew I had the old injuecrors outta the old motor so I swapped them in. If I were u id start with what ur doin though the cap n wires. But from what people tell me these are known for injector issues but idk. Good lick man hope u get it fixed hope this helps

Old 08-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Beginning Member
BubbaBrooks is on a distinguished road

my 2000 has a 6 cylinder missfire also, it does it everymorning when i crank it up but after it runs for a little it quits and the check engine light usually goes off, thinkin i should get a tune up and hope that fixes it