2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Dash help

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 05:48 PM
Beginning Member
PhantomDiesel is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
Before you get too far into the dash issue you may want to explore your fault codes because they involve the emissions system components some of which can get expensive or somewhat involved. Depending on where you live a catalytic converter problem can be expensive, especially in a state with inspections.

George
I would love to figure it out but I'm new to car engines and I don't have money and license

Old 03-01-2020, 05:54 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

If you have a code reader that can look at live data, does the engine coolant temperature reading make sense when the truck is warmed up and running?

George

Old 03-01-2020, 05:54 PM
Mods is on a distinguished road

Pulling the cluster is pretty easy on these trucks, pull that lower knee bolster out, its 4 7mm bolts and its held in by spring clips from there.From there you should see two bolts underneath the top edge of that bolster panel, also 7mm, Pull those out and then pull the whole front bezel off, just be careful because you will have several things bolted or clipped into it and you will need to undo all the wiring harnesses before putting it aside. Then there are four 7mm bolts around the cluster 2 on each side. Pull those and then the wiring harness from the top, you can then easily untwist the bulbs and start checking there first to see if the cluster was fried or if the harness of the truck is having issues. this will also let you know if you're in for heading to a wrecker for a new cluster. I would also use that time to source a wiring diagram and start testing your pins with a multimeter for the cluster harness, as well as the harnesses for all your other dash controls as this is the single best time to access them. the way i would test with a vehicle that runs is simply to turn the engine over and let it idle while testing, be careful and dont electrocute yourself.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:04 PM
Beginning Member
PhantomDiesel is on a distinguished road

hey y'all

so I check the fuses and and everything is fine no blown fuses. Is it possible to reinstall my radio? and I had it all wrong. The harness just clicked no sparks.
Last week the ECU was acting weird. The headlights came on without the control box plugged in when I did plug it back in I couldn't control the headlight in the horn didn't work on the steering wheel but it worked when I push the AC button on my AC control panel and the AC compressor was coming off and on in a short burst. it all started when I was charging my moms truck battery with mine but It stopped after a few days and it hasn't done it since then and I even took it to Walmart down the road and it was fine

Last edited by PhantomDiesel; 03-13-2020 at 12:08 PM.