2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Dashboard warning light disco

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 04:48 PM
gasbaggins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dashboard warning light disco

Hi, my dashboard warning lights are driving me bonkers, the airbag light will come on intermitently for approx 30sec to ten minutes, then go off. the service four wheel drive light will come on then stay on till the ignition is turned off.

Get no error codes from obd2 but I don't know if it logs these systems.

Strange stuff.

1999 4.3 RHD UK spec

Old 03-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Is that all that happens? Any other oddities?

Does your 4wd work?

You need a full feature scan tool (GM Tech2 or equivalent) to access the EBCM (electronic brake control module) and TCCM (transfer case control module).

Old 03-21-2009, 10:08 AM
gasbaggins is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the help, These are the only lights that come on and then go off. The four wheel drive is working far as I know,(when you put It in FWD sounds like you can here a relay clicking behind the dash) but I would have to find time next weekend to find out for sure.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

Bump-
My "service 4WD" light is driving me crazy. It now comes on, every trip, about 5 minutes into the trip, and stays on until the ignition is turned off. I went to Advance, NO codes thrown.
4WD IS working, so what does this light WANT from me??? Don't say electrical tape!

Old 04-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No autoparts store that I have been into uses a scan tool that can access the TCCM. You have to use a Tech2 or equivalently featured scan tool to access it.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Beginning Member
umpa5032 is on a distinguished road

^^^ basically, go to dealership. they will more than likely charge you just for hooking it up, but it could save you some troubles down the road. no shop that i know of has scan tools like these. You would need software for gm, ford, toyota, etc... which is really expensive and you would have to update them every year so it's not really worth it to own them.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Administrator

AutoEnginuity.com <- what I have.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Starting Member

Would most smaller garages, that have a scanner, be able to read it? Or is it most likely going to be a ~dealer only~ read?

My buddy owns a garage, and has a scanner. Just guessing, would his scanner probably be higher tech than Advance's? Yeah, I know, you'd just be guessing.....

Old 04-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Most shops near me have the capability. Just about everything on the 98+ GM vehicles communicates via the serial bus which is what requires a higher feature scan tool.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Starting Member

Thanks Kyle. I'll give my buddy "Bob" a shot then. I just hate asking him, since I do almost all my own vehicle work, thanks to THIS PLACE. Of course if he is able to read it, I'll have to let him do the work(because I know he won't charge me for reading it).