2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Dead Electrical System

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Beginning Member
Amish3006 is on a distinguished road
Default Dead Electrical System

A few weeks ago I posted about swapping the engine on my 97 blazer after it had blown in WV. I finally got the new on in last week thanks to some help from a couple of coworkers and a sunny afternoon.

Now my problem is this, after installing my new engine the electrical system is completly dead. I put a new battery in it on monday to crank the engine and get it going, but nothing happened. No dash lights no relays clicking, nothing. I thought maybe I had made a mistake and left something disco'ed or a ground not connected. I've spent the afternoons for the last three days going over the harness in the engine bay and I can't find anything out of place.

I had marked all the connections with tape and noted locations for every plug and ground that I disconnected and everything is back where it was when I started.

I'm at a loss as to whats wrong. I would appreciate any helpful suggestions and maybe a starting point for troubleshooting.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:43 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Is the battery charged? Is it hooked up? You have no voltage at all anywhere in the fuse/relay boxes? Check or change your battery cables, measure voltage at the starter and continue on from there...

Old 07-22-2009, 06:03 AM
Beginning Member
Amish3006 is on a distinguished road

I found a schematic online and checked a couple of things real quick this morning before work.

As far as I can tell, there is a straight shot from the B+ to the starter, there is no voltage there. Between the battery junction and the B+ there are two Fusible links there is no voltage at the terminal strip at the junction either.

I just purchased the battery from interstate yesterday. The battery is good, has 12.8 vdc and load tests fine.

Is it possible that my harness has burned up? I find it easier to believe that I screwed up something when I was putting the engine back together.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:50 PM
dew88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,

I am right there with you man. I am getting power on my 96 however I get DRL, Idiot Lights, Fuel Pump with ignition off.

Crank it up and I get everything except oil pressure, turn it off and the only thing that goes off is my radio and HVAC. The engine even continues to run.

I know this issue is on my part, I am just not sure what I did, PM me maybe we can help eachother out and figure this out. I know the power coming from batt to alt also supplies the battery junction on driver inner fender which powers the interior, etc but I cannot figure out what I got hooked up wrong.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely sounds like the fusible links have blown. Check to see if the cables stretch. If they do, they are definitely bad.