2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Electrical Help (DRL, Gas & Battery Gauge And Service Lights)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 03:12 PM
dew88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Little Recap...

I removed my 4.3L and all wires except the tranny wires. I put in a newer 4.3L and hooked it all up.

When you hook the battery up the DRL, and the SES, ABS, Etc Lights on the dash come on with no key in it. The fuel gauge and battery gauge both kick on aswell.

I hooked the grounds on the back of the block back up, all the wires not 1 single wire left unplugged. The only wires I am concerned with is 2 wires with O ring connectors that went to what looks like a "Bus" Bar on the driver side fender well behind the abs. I couldn't remeber exactly where they went so I hooked them together.

Any ideas? I Don't beleive this is a ground issue I think something is crossed or hooked in the wrong place somewhere.

HELP!!

Ok I have some pictures to help yall help me.

The wire I am hooking up causing all my problems is on the bust bar driver side fender behind the abs and master cylinder. It runs in the harness and to the back of the alt. If you remove it at the bus bar or the alt you get nothing on the inside of the truck at all. With it hooked up you get the DRL, Gas & Batt Gauge On and interior lights. With the key on you get everything.

If you got and disconnect the wire behind to alt (not the battery wire) the other wire it will all turn off so I know its the other end of this wire.

I need to know what could be causing this issue, maybe something else if not right and thats the cause of my current problems. At this point I do not have a single plug from the harness unplugged.

#1 The Wire - Red, O Ring Hook. It runs with 1 other wire back to the Alt. If either end is disconnected you have nothing inside the vehicle with ignition on or off.

#2 This is where the wire is hooked, its only soo long and this is the only spot I could find for it. When hooked up I get the symptons I previously said.

#3 Pictures of whats going on with the ignition OFF and the key OFF.

#4 Pictures Of The Ignition ON

#5 Are these starter wires connected right??

Sorry for the blury pics, the humidity must have blurred the cam

Old 07-16-2009, 05:38 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

That's gotta be a supply wire... I went outside and looked at my 98 blazer but I don't seem to have that bus bar like your 96. There is something that supplies all of those systems with power. I think you are somehow by-passing the control and hooking things up direct. This is kinda hard to diagnose without being there in person.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:45 PM

I read the schematic which was kinda unclear. All the plugs on that bar are 12V hot. The bar is 14 v on all plugs and it doesn't matter what pole (bolt) you go to its the same results.

I am pulling my hair out on this one, I am ready to have this done and I do not understand where I am messing up.

Its almost like half of my ignition is on when the battery is hooked up and the other half is coming on when you turn the key ON

I FORGOTT TO MENTION THE FUEL PUMP IS COMING ON TOO!!! THE SECOND YOU CONNECT THE BATTERY THE PUMP POWERS UP AS NORMAL FOR HOWEVER MANY SECONDS AND CUTS BACK OFF. ITS NOT RUNNING CONSTANTLY BUT IT IS RUNNING LIKE IT SHOULD!

Old 07-16-2009, 06:00 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

OK... sound to me like the bus bar should be switched with the ignition... maybe there was a relay that did this on the donor vehicle?
I think you need to wire in a relay that will energize the bus bar only when the key is turned on.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That connector is for the HD trailer harness and hooks in for +12V to the trailer wiring. I would not have that connected unless you are sure that it is sealed up on the other end (under the rear of the truck).

Old 07-16-2009, 06:30 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Yah i have the HD harness and mine has that wires just sit there unconnected. The connections you connected it to are always hot unswitched power.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:43 PM

Both last posts are incorrect.

The trailer wire is under the rest of the wires capped off..This is not that one, the trailer wire has a inline plastic fuse on it and this does not. I am sure of this...

I can post pics if needed to prove this. When this red wire is on the bar the DRL Fuel Pump, Gas Gauge, Batt Gauge & SES, ABS, Oil, Etc Gauge lights come on. According to the schematic its suppose to be on the bar so whats going on? the other end of this wire connects to the alt with the 12V from the battery cable, I am wondering if whats causing this is not somewhere else rather than this wire but WHAT? It did not do this before I replaced the motor, I haven't even cranked the new motor yet so I am wondering if something isn't wrong.

I got the ground for the bat, grounds to the back of the block, ground on the firewall by the blower motor.

WHAT AM I MISSING????

Old 07-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Such negativity... Have you considered that someone in the past 13 years has messed with the wiring. That is exactly what the connector on the factory +12V wire to the back looks like. I can post pictures as well... But hey, what do I know. Good luck with your problem.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:04 PM

SWARTLKK - Man I am not calling you a liar, I am saying thats not the wire and here are some better pictures showing you. IF you had not helped me as much as you have I would not be this far on this truck. You have helped me ALOT but thanks so much for your help.

Pictures showing what I am talking about.

THE WIRE IN MY HAND IS THE WIRE MAKING MY STUFF DRL, GAS GAUGE, BATT GAUGE, FUEL PUMP, ETC. THE OTHER WIRE IS THE TRAILER WIRE. YOU CAN SEE THE ONE IN MY HAND GOING INTO THE HARNESS AND THE OTHER ONE GOING UNDER THE TRUCK ITS THE TRAILER WIRE.

THERE IS ALSO A BLACK WIRE WITH "FUSIBLE LINK" WROTE ON IT GOING INTO THE LOOM WITH THE RED WIRE, IT HAS A O RING TOO.

PICS

AGAIN I WAS NOT TRYING TO MAKE ANYONE MAD!

Old 07-16-2009, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Such negativity... Have you considered that someone in the past 13 years has messed with the wiring. That is exactly what the connector on the factory +12V wire to the back looks like. I can post pictures as well... But hey, what do I know. Good luck with your problem.

I have considered this option aswell. I have a second harness that came with my new motor and the same wire is in that harness aswell.

Its 1 single O-Ring connector on 1 end and goes through the harness to 2 wires on 1 connector to the alternator. This leads me to think that its stock wiring not something added because 2 totally diff harnesses has this.

I am not calling you wrong but rather just trying to find out whats going on. If you have a suggestion please suggest. I am lost with this and not even sure where to start. All the connectors on the harness are plugged in and all the grounds bolted. This just has me baffled, maybe it doesn't go to the bar maybe it goes somewhere else.

With this red wire disconnected you have nothing inside the vehicle with the battery hooked up. No lights, gauges, radio NOTHING.

Quick Reply: Electrical Help (DRL, Gas & Battery Gauge And Service Lights)