2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Dead key remote will not open the Security lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 11:37 AM
Starting Member
jannes_z-28 is on a distinguished road
Default Dead key remote will not open the Security lock

Today one of the key remote died and doesn't open the door locks or open the security making the car not starting.

Since this is an export model it works with different frequencies so buying a new key on eBay isn't an option.

I need to disable this before the other key remote also die.

I have found some infor about this and cutting the cables at the ignition lock and connect them. There is a mention about a resistor that has a special value depending on the car.
I saw one video on YouTube were they just wired the cables together without resistor and did the relearning process. Will the relearning be necessary if I get the proper resistor?

Thanks

Old 09-28-2021, 12:08 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

I don't know anything about differences in the security system for export models but a US 2002 blazer uses passlock which has no special key required so no resistor chip or transponder in the key. The process if your export model is the same is to cut the yellow passlock wire and expose a portion of the black or orange/blk ground wire and either measure the existing resistor value in the ignition module (black and yellow on the ignition side) and use that value or use a 2.2k ohm resistor because its a known good value. Then perform a relearn if necessary. This can be done under the dash at the steering column or at the PCM connector. The resistor goes from yellow on the PCM side to black and replaces the resistance presented by the hall effect sensor when the key tumbler is rotated properly at the column.

Let me know if you need more help.

George

Old 09-28-2021, 12:14 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the diagram. What I have understand it's only the frequency that the remote works on that is different due to some regulations by governments. Other than that it should be the same.

I'll give it a try.

Old 09-28-2021, 12:28 PM
BF Veteran

There are more involved solutions involving relays but I think that is only for preserving a remote start function. If you just want the truck to start with the key in the ignition I think the simple resistor will work. Let me know how you do with this.

George

Old 09-28-2021, 12:46 PM
Starting Member

I will manage with the cable trick as you describe. Only drawback is that the central door lock isn't working now with the dead key remote. Strange though red alarm button works but I guess that is another thing.

I have been thinking about to disable this security lock before any of the key remotes broke, now I'm there and have to do it

Old 09-28-2021, 11:22 PM
Starting Member

Just a question about the resistor, If I just take a cable connected to ground up to the ignition loock and connect one end of the resistor to that ground cable and the other end to the now free yellow cable, that would work??

Old 09-28-2021, 11:55 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by jannes_z-28
Just a question about the resistor, If I just take a cable connected to ground up to the ignition loock and connect one end of the resistor to that ground cable and the other end to the now free yellow cable, that would work??
It may work but could be unreliable. The ground wire back to the PCM is a low ref/conditioned clean ground that keeps noise off of the circuit and the signal values stable and clean. I don't know how sensitive that circuit is

George

Old 10-01-2021, 01:36 PM
BF Veteran

A couple of things if you are having problems with the resistor and relearn:

1) If a 2.2k resistor is not working, you can measure the existing value back towards the passlock ignition module and replace it with the exact resistor value for your ignition module

2) Even though its contrary to the whole point of a lo ref wire back to the PCM, some people have reported that adding a frame ground to that wire can solve problems

3) The relearn procedure:

George

Old 10-01-2021, 02:17 PM
Starting Member

Thanks, I'll try that.

Let you know what happens.

Old 10-01-2021, 03:14 PM
BF Veteran

Oh and check the TBC fuse.

George