2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

dead in the water blazer

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 10:21 AM
dreamer66 is on a distinguished road
Default dead in the water blazer

trying to read all the threads and just getting further confused . need help on a 2002 blazer zr2 the truck runs great when it will crank. it will crank all day as long as u crank it every few hours. if the truck sits overnight u have to start it with starter fluid . no dash lights on no skip gas milege stinks but thats to be expected.i have replaced gas cap fuel regulator gas filter distrubutor many mechanics have went thru it to the tune of 600.00 and i still have problem .as u can tell i am no mechanic but i have enough sense to get out of the rain one mechanic has told me its in the timing but how can it run so good when it does crank ? any answers will be greatly appreciated as this is getting to be a really bad nusance . ty any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and when repaired i will update so if anyone else is having this problem they will know what to do .

Last edited by dreamer66; 08-21-2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: alot of views and no answers
Old 08-21-2013, 03:04 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

do a fuel pressure test

Old 08-21-2013, 03:13 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

bad spider injectors or fuel line leak. Get fuel pressure test done

Old 08-21-2013, 05:24 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Most auto parts stores rent/sell/loan fuel pressure testers. It connects to the service port located on the driver side, close to the distributor. When you initially turn the ignition to the RUN position, (do not start the engine) the fuel pump will be activated for ~2 seconds, and then shut off. Fuel pressure must be tested while the pump is running, and the engine is off. Pressure must be 60psi to 66psi and it must remain above 55psi for at least 10 minutes after the pump shuts off. The results will determine the next step in diagnosing the problem. Post your results.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:01 AM

ok finally brokedown and took my blazer to the chevy dealership here after alot of debate. 700.00 later they decided it was the fuel pump. the psi off was 55 running it dropped to 48 . other mechanics had also noticed this but said that was not my problem . got the truck back yesterday and it has cranked on the first turn of the key . the old fuel pump i could here it running but the new one i cant .the mechanic told me the v6 will not crank under 60psi . it will run at a lower psi but it wont start at a lower psi. they told me my fuel pump was on the way out it was running just enough to say it was on . so im praying my problem is now solved and im hoping to drive the wheels off the truck lol. the mechanic told me i had a great solid chevy and should be able to get many more miles out of it . i have one more issue i have to deal with and that is a leak in the transmission drain pan and for that they told me my son can fix that issue all i need is a gasket replaced so i guess thats the next maintenace i gotta do .i also have got to replace the rear actuator so my back hatch will open ,sounds compli cated to me since the back wont open .oh well i love the truck and will keep putting it back together lol thank you for all the replies i have learned something new again about my blazer .

Old 08-29-2013, 11:18 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Always good to hear that a problem is solved...hopefully anyways.

Getting the rear hatch open and fixed: do a search as this has been discussed many times. Does your Blazer have the lift gate or the drop-down tail gate?

The transmission oil pan gasket is easy to replace...just very, very messy as there is no drain plug so trans fluid can go everywhere if not very careful lowering the pan. Good time to replace the filter since the new pan gasket comes with it.

Have a large or wide catch pan under the trans pan. Last time I did this I removed the pan bolts so as to let the front of the pan drop and let the fluid pour out as I removed the remaining bolts from around the sides and finally the rear ones. You will likely have to use a small screwdriver to break the gasket seal around the pan. Do not pry and damage the pan or the trans pan gasket sealing surface.

Might also have a bag of kitty litter handy to soak-up any large spills.

Good luck.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:33 AM

wow if i wasnt living this mess i wouldnt beleive it . i reported that the dealership had fixed my problem well guess what after letting my truck sit from sat to monday the truck would not crank again same thing as before sooo the dealership had to come get it again and they still have it . it has still not cranked so evidently the new 700.00 fuel pump wasnt it so now im just waiting again and im on day two and still nothing from the dealership .im kinda gettin g really nervous as to how they will handle this will i pay even more or will they work with me on it .beginning to wonder should i sell the truck even though i really dont want too . will update as soon as i can . the other good news i may have the pontiac trans am sold that is listed on here. maybe i can use the money from the sale of car to finally get my blazer right who knows will keep yall posted , ty again for the suggestions.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Default what a mess

wow if i wasnt living this mess i wouldnt beleive it . i reported that the dealership had fixed my problem well guess what after letting my truck sit from sat to monday the truck would not crank again same thing as before sooo the dealership had to come get it again and they still have it . it has still not cranked so evidently the new 700.00 fuel pump wasnt it so now im just waiting again and im on day two and still nothing from the dealership .im kinda gettin g really nervous as to how they will handle this will i pay even more or will they work with me on it .beginning to wonder should i sell the truck even though i really dont want too . will update as soon as i can . the other good news i may have the pontiac trans am sold that is listed on here. maybe i can use the money from the sale of car to finally get my blazer right who knows will keep yall posted , ty again for the suggestions.