2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

DexCool...or not??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 10:46 PM
BTJustice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: DexCool...or not??

Most people don't have problems, but those that do have them before the recommendations. It seems like they pop up around 3 years and 60,000-80,000 miles in. When they do have problems, it is expensive to get fixed. Most bills seem to average around $900 mostly labor costs.

The problems with Dex-Cool and plastic gaskets started a class-action lawsuit which appears to have been judged in favor of the GM vehicle owners...

https://blazerforum.com/m_112918/tm.htm

This weekend, I plan on taking the Dex-Cool crap out of my Dad's 2003 S-10 pickup and my Mom's 2004 Blazer. I am still debating if I am going to use the new-type Zerex green or Zerex G-05. I think I will probably use the green in both with distilled water.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Mitche is on a distinguished road
Default Dex-Cool

Hey guys I have been having a intermittent heating problem for the last year or so and have seen the black chalky type powder on the radiator cap. Last night talking to a 30 year veteran of a Chevy garage told me that they have had many problems with the Dex-cool taking out water pumps and Right front wheel bearings prematurely due to over flow tube and how the Dex-Cool turns to a powder when in the air.

I too have had this problem and thought the gunk that was all over the wheel and brake and bearing was dirty grease from the CV boot but it was not that it was black powder with very little greasy felling. Turns out it's Dex-Cool from the overflow tube their on the right side right by the wheel and the bearing.

They no longer use it when the do system rad outs and the other routine check ups they just use a good quality all system anti freeze.

Anyhow when I put the hose into the radiator to flush to begin to see if this was my problem did I get a eyeful there where chunks as big as 50 pieces that popped out onto the Battery I couldn't believe it.

I'm now on my way down to the local parts store for some flush and hopefully that will get rid of the bigger part of it, if not I guess I'm going to have to take out the Radiator and have it flushed and maybe rodded out.

Good luck in your ventures with Dex-cool.

Mitch

Old 07-21-2009, 12:04 PM
jstein is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Millertime21
I just had to put a new water pump on and flush my system out because my Blazer over heated. The orange dexcool got all chunky and clogged up my system. So I would recommend staying away from it. Just my experience.
Had a similar experience with the gf's 2001 Saturn SC2. The reservoir tank filled with a brown sludge. The system was flushed at a local body shop and (unbeknownst to me) filled again with the DexCool. The sludge came back about a year later. I would highly recommend NOT using it.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:19 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Very old and worn topic. Let's not revive it, please.