2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

door locks n mirrors not workin.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Starting Member
g_mike is on a distinguished road
Default door locks n mirrors not workin.

So I just hit 190,000km (wahoo...epic..lol) ans sure enough the ps door lock wouldn't open so I couldn't open the door..not even using the key...gave up started the truck and it opened..sweet fixed right? Wrong! Now it won't lock!

Next issue seems to be electrical, my power mirrors won't go left and right but they will go up down. First is was just the ps but now its both.

Any ideas??

Old 12-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Starting Member
stlwaco is on a distinguished road

year and model??? electric locks? Is it not working electricly or manually sliding the button?

As for the mirror problem, if you are getting the same exact problem on both mirrors, then you have a bad mirror motor switch. If only one mirror acts up, then you will need to verify if power is getting to the mirror when you push up or down. If there is power, then the mirror motor is out and would need to be replaced. If no power, then you will need to start tracing the wire back to find where power stops.
My money is on the switch though. I have owned 2 blazers this year alone and they both have bad switches.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Starting Member

sorry im use to the cadillac forum where i have my year make model in my title...
its a 2002 GMC Jimmy SLS 2dr 4x4 ..power locks, windows, mirrors w/ heat.

i was thinking the switch too but the passenger mirror stopped and the driver side still worked , then the driver side stopped. both mirrors still work up and down angles, its just left and right that broke.

the door lock seems more like a mechanical issue since i couldnt even unlock it by pushing the lock up and i tried the key outside to open it but it didnt work.
then it just suddenly unlocked and now i cant lock it...its parked in my garage, garage is locked with a alarm so no worries.

i think im gonna have to take the door panel off tomorrow and see how it looks,,, i was driving and heard a ticking and i thought my gf was chewing gum, turned out to be coming from the door, i think the electric motor was trying to lock it but it wouldnt go.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Starting Member
stlwaco is on a distinguished road

sounds like you need to start checking power on both systems. You need to get to the mirror connector to check power. Im not sure which color wire is for which function. Just see if you get power for each position of the switch. If no power, it most likely will be the switch. If power then the motor is bad. I dont know if the motors are replacable on these trucks.

For the locks, Im wondering if the lock switch is shorting out. Start by checking to see if you have power at the lock actuator with out the switch being pushed. Then try with the switch. If it all seems good, look over all the linkages and linkage connections.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Starting Member

wekll i took the door panel off and pulled out the actuator, linkages, handles, and the part that actually locks onto the door frame...not sure what its called, but its the main part.
unplugged 2 foor open sensor, the power wires and 1 other harness that was attached up to it.. cleaned it up a little, jiggled this and that put it back in and it works perfect...it must have just been jammed.

for the mirrors i would like to plug someone elses working module in because i think you are right, that is probably the issue.