2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Downshifting into 3 on hills

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 01:55 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Downshifting into 3 on hills

Hey guys. Is it true that it is better for the transmission if I downshift into 3 (out of overdrive) when driving up hills? There are alot of steep hills in this town and I always seem to get more power when I put the shifter into 3 just before a steep hill. Am I doing damage or is it safer for the trans to be driving in 3 on hills? I notice that when I am off the hill on level ground that it feels like there is some "resistance" as if I was towing something or having both rear tires almost flat. Thanks.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Its been covered quite a bit in the past. The only reason to down shift is if the transmission is continually hunting between 3rd and 4th. The more shifting that is going on, the more heat is generated and the more wear/tear there is on the fluid & clutches.

If you feel more peace of mind by running it in 3rd, go right ahead. You won't be damaging anything, but if you are doing so unnecessarily, you will be using more fuel.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:51 PM

Great thanks. There are so many hills and idling where I am. I only get about 9-11 mpg in town. I can get 18-20 highway at 65mph. Fuel consumption is no factor when it comes to keeping the transmission safe.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:33 AM
cyberdog is on a distinguished road

I live in a hilly town aswell and i always just drive in 2nd gear( 1-2 ). I feel when i drive with D it shifts alot and 2nd feels better and doesnt have much revs since i only drive 30mph in town.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by cyberdog
I live in a hilly town aswell and i always just drive in 2nd gear( 1-2 ). I feel when i drive with D it shifts alot and 2nd feels better and doesnt have much revs since i only drive 30mph in town.
Uhhh, doesn't 2 just shift your transmission into 2 and leave it there (not going into 1 first)?
At least that is what I thought it said in the manual. I tried 2 from a stop a couple times. Felt like it had no power, but when I was in 1/3/D it would start normally. Even when I shift into 3 from 2, it would downshift into 1 properly and I would have my power back.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:31 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

I would think that you could find someone that does tuning and they could modify your shift points to better suit that area you live in. Maybe that it stays in 3rd gear until a higher speed (say you are on these hills and the speed limit is 45, you could have it stay in 3rd until close to 55 instead).

Old 04-21-2010, 11:26 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Yah staying in 3rd is fine OD is ur low power highway gear, I wouldn't use 2nd though you are gonna be turning alot of rpm and heating up the tranny quick. And the 2 on the shifter should do 1st and 2nd like the poster thought

Old 04-21-2010, 11:54 PM

I don't use 2nd anyway unless I am going down a steep hill and need the additional braking power to keep it under control, but I don't do that unless I am moving under 20 mph, 25 max, then I go to 3 and use more braking force. I only go to 1 if I am going down or up a REALLY STEEP hill at 5 mph or less or if I am pulling something (like in the 2 instances when I had to pull another vehicle 20 feet out of mud and snow. Didn't even spin the tires, no matter if it was in 2HI or 4LO.) or if I am in 4HI or 4LO in deep snow or offroad so I don't have to worry about the trans upshifting and causing heat buildup at slower speeds where the trans cooler is useless.
I don't know if programming it would be a good idea since alot of my miles are actually on interstate highways (most of which are between college and home), but I go to college in a small town and I live in another small town. Both towns have alot of hills.

Also my trans cooler is mounted with the fittings pointed down (upside down?) and the hoses are routed behind the bumper. Is that correct? Is it cooling properly like that or is it useless? Thanks

Old 04-22-2010, 07:57 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter how the cooler is oriented so long as it gets air passing through it.