2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Drivers window - no power

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 06:02 PM
Beginning Member
Fast Rider is on a distinguished road
Default Drivers window - no power

I've searched on this topic and read numerous threads but I still have a few questions. I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer LS with power windows, locks, etc. From the drivers controls, all windows and locks work except the drivers window. This makes it a pain for me as I cross a toll bridge to and from work everyday. When pushing the switch, both up and down, nothing happens. I cannot hear any noise either as if the motor is trying to work. It just seems "dead". I've taken apart the master control switch and none of the connector "blades" appear to be corroded whatsoever.

I'm hoping these symptoms may lead to a second-to-none diagnosis, however I realize it may not. Is there possibly a fuse that needs replacement? Is it definitely the motor? Something else I should check for? Was hoping I wouldn't have to take the door panel off (never done it before) unless I needed to replace the motor and had it on hand...how long does panel removal take (and any tips?) Thanks ahead of time!

Old 06-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

All of the windows use the same 30 amp circuit breaker, and the same ground. If at least one window works, the breaker is not the problem, the switch is getting battery voltage, and the ground is good. If you remove the driver window control far enough to get at the wires on the back, you can check if the dark blue wire and the brown wire are sending power and ground to the motor when you operate the switch. If it passes that test, it will require removing the trim panel and checking for voltage and ground at the driver window motor connector.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Beginning Member
Fast Rider is on a distinguished road

Thought I would update you guys on this issue in case anyone comes across similar symptoms on the future. Removing the door panel and banging on the window motor with a hammer did the trick. Turns out the rivets are stretched out and allow the motor to wiggle around some, causing it to bind and no longer work. Once free'd up, it has worked perfectly for over a month now. Thanks to blazerforums.com I've fixed another issue without dropping a dime!

Old 08-06-2013, 12:39 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

I had a similar experience with the driver's window motor on my 1992 GMC Vandura. The motor would decide to stop moving the window up and down intermittently. The rivets had stretched and wouldn't always hold the motor against the regulator. I had to take the whole regulator assembly out and remove the rivets and replace them with nuts and bolts. After that, no more problems.