2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

E-brake problem (again).

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 04:14 PM
arstinince is on a distinguished road
Default E-brake problem (again).

Hey all, I've searched the forums here and found posts on the e-brake, but it think my problem is a little unique (although I could be wrong).

Ok, so the brake goes down fine, but doesn't release. The mechanism is all hooked up correctly. The handle is actually pulling the release and everything.

The only way I've been able to get it back up is to pull the pedal up with all my strength back into the disengaged position while pulling on the release with my other hand.

What do you guys think this is? What actually causes the break to release? If I knew exactly how this system works it may be easier to figure out the problem.

Thanks for any help guys.

Old 04-24-2021, 05:02 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I'm wondering if the pedal need some lubricating. I've had to replace mine all together as it wouldn't lock. Have you inspected the ebrake pedal?

Also year and model to help find out what kind of ebrake setup we are dealing with please.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by DonL
I'm wondering if the pedal need some lubricating. I've had to replace mine all together as it wouldn't lock. Have you inspected the ebrake pedal?

Also year and model to help find out what kind of ebrake setup we are dealing with please.

Omgsh duh. I completely forgot to add that.

It's a 2000 Jimmy.
It seems to point to the pedal, but why is it so easy going down vs back up? It's strange. I found a replacement part in Amazon for $50. I've tried lubricating it with silly kroil once or twice and I THINK it helped, but I'm not sure. That's when it was only happening sporadically.

Old 04-26-2021, 05:13 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

It is odd. I would take a look at the ebrake lines going from front to back, make sure they are clear of anything. Might be debree in the lines. But still unsure why it would be hard to release. Usually the other way around.

Old 06-11-2021, 11:42 AM
kmenc67 is on a distinguished road

If it seems to stick more in cold weather, it's likely a rust/lubrication problem in the pedal assembly. Mine does that now and then, especially in cold weather. I just give it a shot of lithium grease or some other long-lasting lubricant and it will usually loosen up for a while.

Old 06-12-2021, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by kmenc67
If it seems to stick more in cold weather, it's likely a rust/lubrication problem in the pedal assembly. Mine does that now and then, especially in cold weather. I just give it a shot of lithium grease or some other long-lasting lubricant and it will usually loosen up for a while.
Thanks so much, bro. That's actually what I tried a couple weeks ago. I used silly kroil and worked it loose. Glad it was relatively simple!

Old 06-16-2021, 08:25 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

What part of the country are you located ? I ask that Q? because if you are in a 'salt on the roads' in the winter time area, you will find the E-brake/ parking brake cable rusting up where the cable runs to the rear brakes. That could cause the cable to freeze in the always on position and will not release. That means your rear calipers may stay on which means the pads wear out quickly. One way to check that is to feel the rear disc brakes after a drive to see if they are warm /normal / or very hot/not normal. It sounds like the problem was solved by lubing the pedal assembly. This post is for others driving in the rust belt of the US and Canada.
This applies to those SUV's with rear disc or rear drum brakes.

Old 06-16-2021, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
What part of the country are you located ? I ask that Q? because if you are in a 'salt on the roads' in the winter time area, you will find the E-brake/ parking brake cable rusting up where the cable runs to the rear brakes. That could cause the cable to freeze in the always on position and will not release. That means your rear calipers may stay on which means the pads wear out quickly. One way to check that is to feel the rear disc brakes after a drive to see if they are warm /normal / or very hot/not normal. It sounds like the problem was solved by lubing the pedal assembly. This post is for others driving in the rust belt of the US and Canada.
This applies to those SUV's with rear disc or rear drum brakes.

Nice, thanks man. The more info the better. Yeah I live in California so there are no salt on the roads here. Barely any water at all haha.

Old 06-16-2021, 09:13 PM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

That's good.about no salt on the roads. Sometimes if you tow a boat or a waverunner and back the trailer into the water, you can get the rear of the SUV undercarriage wet and it can cause rust. Not as bad as in up state NY where You Tube's Eric O. of South Main Auto works on cars and trucks rusted out in an amazing short time.