2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 12:32 PM
idr
Beginning Member
idr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrical issue

First off, Thanks to everyone helping me when I replaced the intake gaskets, job is done and engine is cleaned up, did decide to change out the spider unit while I had it open.

I have one of those overhead consoles with map lights on it. Somedays the lights go on, some days they do not. Just started noticing the same with my directionals, work 95% of the time and the other times they do not.

I realize this mut be some sort of short/ground situation but where do I start. Fuses are fine and terminals are clean. I know the turn signals may be grounding out inside the steering wheel but where did they route the wires for these consoles ? Thanks.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Electrical issue

there is a harness that coes from the passanger visor to the console to the driver visor to the A-Pillar then down and connects to another harness behind the drivers side of the dash. When the lights are wacking out open a visors mirror lights and see if its wacking out too if so its prolly not in the console.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:37 AM
idr
Beginning Member

Thank You, did that yesterday, both drivers side and passenger side lights in the mirrors are fine. Going to take a closer look tomorrow and will relay what I found.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:02 AM

Also if you look at the power plug (4 prong, located above the console) has black,orange,purple/yellow, and white. Two of these are for the dome and two are for the directionals, one set should be wired to accessory on and one should be to allways on (i believe). hope it helps

Old 01-26-2009, 11:12 AM
idr
Beginning Member

When you say above the console do you mean the dash or the overhead console ? Thanks for your help.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:59 AM

I mean above the overhead console.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:25 PM
idr
Beginning Member

Well got the situation in hand. There are actually 2 plugs up under the overhead console. One large on that goes directly to the Temp/Compass device in the front and one that is attached to the plug for the map/overhead light.

After disconnecting the battery I removed the three screws holding the console up
Front screw is a torx and can be seen and is accessable without removing anything. Second two screws are accessed by removing the interior light cover. These two screws are phillips.

The console just comes off easily and can be put on the side once you unplug the temp/compass and the lights. I sprayed both plugs with electrical cleaner and then blew them out with air. The 4 reading lights each have two seperate wires attached to them. I disconnected thm one at a time, sprayed the end that plugs onto the light with electrical cleaner and then roughed up the male connector on the light with a little emery cloth. Again, sprayed everything with air when done. Connected the plugs and connected the battery and BANG, it all worked great.

I did not want to put it all back together until I tested it. Guess it was just time and and not being snug that was screwing things up.

One problem I have with this blazer is someone broke in and ripped the stereo out in 2004. I purchased this truck in 2001 for my son for college. Since 2004 the truck has basically been either in our garage in AZ or the last two years, shipped up to Missouri for football season so I can use it. My son plays football up there. It is garaged when it is up there too.

I rarely use the thing at all to be honest. Anyway, he had a HUGE stereo put in it when he was at Nebraska an when they ripped it out, they left all sorts of wires hanging everywhere. It had a huge speaker box in the rear with a very large amp back there so there were some pretty big cables.

Yesterday, I finally took the time to take all the cables out. But, I did come to find there is a bazzillion loose wires under the dash everywhere. I have a lot of time on my hands so I think I am going to slowly put it all back together, then find a store to fit some kind of regular type radio system back in the dash as now there is only a huge gapping hole there.

Thank You for your help and kindness in this matter. If you do not mind I imagine I am going to need a lot more advice while getting all the spaghetti back to normal under this dash. I may even take it out and start from scratch, who knows. Thanks to all again.