2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Engine to Filter Oil Line

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 08:37 AM
bigcountry58 is on a distinguished road
Default Engine to Filter Oil Line

I have searched and failed on anything worth anything on this subject...

So this line started to leak pretty heavily, and I went to replace it. Upon getting it disconnected from the engine block, I could not get the damn thing to clear the transfer case. I need atleast another inch. Has anyone figured out a nice work around for this?

I have read about messing with the engine mounts, and I am not really in a position to do this... Anyone modify the lines to get it through?

Any ideas?

Old 02-14-2012, 09:16 AM
Starting Member
chcknugget is on a distinguished road

You could cut the old lines with a knife... Jacking up the motor isn't hard to do. There are two bolts for the motor mounts and two nuts on the transmission mount.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigcountry58
I have searched and failed on anything worth anything on this subject...
Which means you didn't search enough...Or that you haven't tried what was presented.

If lifting the engine with a jack does not provide enough room to clear the front diff, then you will need to pull the engine mount bolt on that side to get enough clearance. You really can't modify the mounting lug on the end of the lines without diminishing the seal area.

If your mounts have sagged that much, they likely will need replacement sometime soon.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:41 PM

Front Diff, yea I messed up the term quickly trying to write something out, my apologies... However, the damn thing has 60k miles on it and if I need to replace my mounts already, then f gm's. I have spent more money on this thing than I spent buying any previous car I have ever owned.

Its easy to accuse people of not looking or not trying, but short of removing the mounts I had attempted all that was offered. Was just looking for some more advice.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Mileage doesn't matter when it comes to rubber components such as engine mounts. The age matters MUCH more. Age, even 9 years, with low miles is often worse than the same age with typical miles. In my experience, rubber components deteriorate faster when not in use.

And you seem to be letting your vehicle get the better of you...

You don't have to remove the mounts themselves, just remove the mount bolt to free the two halves of the mount.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:03 PM

But that would lend to the thought that there would be some slop in the motor mounts yes?

We got no movement when attempting to jack up the engine.

I may very well be letting the vehicle get the better of me, I have spent more time inside of it then my wife... and cost me more money!

Last edited by bigcountry58; 02-14-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:43 AM
Starting Member
chcknugget is on a distinguished road

Remove the two nuts holding the transmission to the crossmember and the motor should lift up... Its very possible your motor mounts are toast so the whole thing should lift up easily. I had enough room to feed the lines above my front diff without jacking the motor up so your motor is sagging. What kind of jack are you using?