2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

engine and transmission removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Jackal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: engine and transmission removal

Not to thread jack but i am pulling my engine soon also. I only need to rebuild my engine however. So which would be easier to do, pull just the engine or transfer case along with the trans?

Old 02-09-2007, 10:22 PM
blazernate1002 is an unknown quantity at this point

i ended up pulling the case off then the trans then the engine. but if you could get the vehicle high enough you should be able to pull it all togeather... or may just have to take the T case off.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:34 PM

So theres no way to leave the transfer case and trans in the truck? I want to just pul my engine.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:47 PM

oh i thought u wanted to pull the whole thing yeah you can... just unbolt the trans from the engine and pull just the engine. to help get at the bolts remove the tranny support and the drive shaft to allow it to tilt back to expose the bolts. if you can get to the bolts without tilting the trans down much better but if not. might as well pull the whole thing because you will hace to support the transmission. if you can just pull the engine i do not think u need to remove the radiator support.

please be advised i am no expert i have only pulled an engine once. and i pulled the tranny because that had gone out and i figured y not rebuild the engine while im at it. so i took a completely diffrent approach than what would normaly be done..

Old 02-12-2007, 08:50 PM

I dunno man i started tearing into her last night. it seems as it will be imposable to get to the bell housing bolts. Did you unbolt the bell housing bolts b4 moving the engine or trans? It looks to be to close to the fire wall. So far im thinkin i at least have to move engine and trans forward to get to the bell housing bolts. All i have to go by is a haynes manual, which is not a very good shop manual lol. Anyway thanks for the input.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:06 PM

since i was doing mine in a 1 car garage and limited tools and waiting on a cherry picker i removed all i could. with the engine still on its mounts you can remove the transmission mount and unbolt it from the frame. with this removed the engine will tilt far enough back to unbolt the housing.but before you do that you need to remove the starter and unbolt the torque converter from the flywheel. then you can unbolt the trans from the engine and move it back. i used a rolling floor jack to do that. wich also supported it. if you just want to remove the engine this route will work... now that i think about it u may be able able to remove the engine and trans togeather without taking the front off if u can get it to tilt far enough....ill offer any info i can but there are others here who can help better.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:28 PM
bigt is an unknown quantity at this point

I just did my 1984 4 x 4 blazer and I never cursed before that job! Had to pull transfer case first, then the transmission, then take the dust shield off bell housing, then unbolt bell housing from motor (you have to take the body bolts out of the frame and jack the body off frame to be able to get to the top bell housing bolts) then the engine will come out. I hoping that when I put it back in I can put the bell housing and transmission on the motor first and slip the whole thing in one piece. Then after that I hope I can find a book that show where the hoses and wires go. It is a hell of a job but still cheaper than paying somebody to do it.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:00 PM

Darn skippy its cheaper!! And the results are more fun! Heres what i mean http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2568605. I realy don't want to lift the body off the frame. I havea cherry picker with the load balancer, so i could tilt my engine and trans alot. My problem is the low ceiling. I am gonna do my darnedist to keep the trans in for this reason. I have 2 large floor jacks also. I am not new to working on vehicles but its been kicking my but. Any ideas on who i could ask for advice on this forum?

Old 02-12-2007, 11:11 PM

try starting a new thread seeking specific answers from people who have done this alot. this thread is old and many may not be looking at it.. i new thread is your best bet. specially if you dont know anyone here like me.