Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your Blazer's engine insides here.

91 4x4 blazer transmission removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 12:22 AM
96ekhb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 91 4x4 blazer transmission removal

I have two 91 4x4 blazers 4.3L automatic. One tranny is gone and the other dont run so im goin to swap them out. I was wondering how hard it was to pull the transmission? Also is there a difference between the 4x4 4.3 transmission and the 2wd? thanks for the help guys.

Old 11-02-2005, 08:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 91 4x4 blazer transmission removal

In terms of the inner workings of the transmissions, they are exactly the same. The problem you'll run into is that the 4x4 tranny will have the transfercase mounted where the tail housing is mounted on the 4x2 tranny. The 4x4 tranny will have a shorter tail shaft as well. In order to make it work, you must swap the tail shafts between the trannies and depending on whether you want a good 4x2 tranny or a good 4x4 tranny, swap over the tail housing or transfer case accordingly. However, it isn't a simple parts swap to get them to work. I haven't specifically tried to do it on the 700r4 (4L60E whatever you want to call it), but I have on a TH350. Not exactly the easiest thing in the world and I finally decided to just go with a 2wd tranny instead of farting around with it, but I had many options - a built 4x4 TH350 vs found it under the barn 2wd TH350 - both were free and my chevelle has the found it under the barn TH350 in it now which has done remarkably well.

Old 11-03-2005, 03:20 AM
96ekhb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info swartlkk! How much work is involved in taking the transmission out? Would it be easier just to pull the whole motor? Also, is there any way to tell if my transmission is fine and I just need a new torque converter. The transmission doesnt grind or anything it just wont grab. any ideas? Thanks again for the help.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:29 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a little insight for you.
What was posted above is correct and I would like to add to it. To make a 2wdr tranny a 4wdr tranny requires pulling about half the guts out of both trannies. There is a C-clip the holds the output shaft in place. REmove the C-clip and the output shaft will slide out, slid in the correct output shaft for your swap, install the C-clip and the rest of the guts. Not hard to do as long as your careful, keep the parts in exact order, don't damage any gaskets or rings in the process, and stand the tranny on end when doing it. Fairly easy if your interested.

Removeal, yea it would be easier to remove the tranny by itself. Pulling the engine with it is a whole bunch more work, although while your pulling the tranny you will swear otherwise. If you want more info I will post up, however you will have to respond to this post so I get an emial. I have to step away from teh pc for about 5 hours. I'll check back later tonight and will use the email as a trigger.