2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Evap IM

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 08:31 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by johnnylovsey
No the price is to low besides Les sent a link explaining the knock off,s some do work and some don't let me ask you this on your drive cycle quest did you use a knock off or your neighbors original since he was a certified gm tech I doubt he would own a knock off.
My knock off works great! My neighbor uses it when his is left at the dealership.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:49 PM
johnnylovsey is on a distinguished road

Tell me that link you gave me for the tech 2 does it come with everything you need to work on a gm and does it give real time information as to why the evap isn't running never mind I remember you said it did and your neighbor rode shot gun to read it while you drove. and is it able to do a what is it a bay test I think it means its able to turn on sensors and valves in the gm vehicle to kick in the evap system because all my other system IM,s are ready just not the evap IM. Oh yea I didn't see blazer on the list of covered vehicles mine is 2003 blazer l/s 4.3 liter will it work on mine.And what one do you have the $250.00 or the $500.00 one

Last edited by johnnylovsey; 02-15-2016 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:08 PM
Default The Tech 2

Originally Posted by 10-78 edac
My knock off works great! My neighbor uses it when his is left at the dealership.
I have been trying to get a answer from that link since last night 1 Didn't see my blazer or the 4,3 liter on the vehicle list and the 2016 new years offer they show 6 cables 6 adapters two download dvd,s and the Tech 2 and I cant get conformation of any of this when you bought your tool 1 was it the same one advertised in the link and what did you get with it when you bought it.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:35 PM
Default The Tech 2 link

Originally Posted by 10-78 edac
I know your pain. It took me over three months to get the drive cycle to run. I would try it late at nite when traffic was light, around midnight, before turning in. a couple of times at 4 in the morning. Just remember that all of it doesn't have to be done at the same time. I was lucky enough to be able to watch what events ran and passed with a tech2. Talking to a neighbor who is a 30 year GM tech, said the same thing as stated here, should take 20 min.

US$252.00 - GM Tech2 GM Scanner -CANdi & TIS (Works for GM/SAAB/OPEL/SUZUKI/ISUZU/Holden)
I have tried for couple days now but cant ever get a real person.Want to know if what you see on the link is what you get and does it work on 2003 blazer 4.3 liter L/S 4x4 X4Door You told me it has real time data like on the evap system so you can see what passes and when.also curious does it have the ability to do a bay test for the evap if the tool and the vehicle do it then the test can be done without the drive cycle.Please answer this won't hold you responsible for any tool flaws but can't seem to get info any other way.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:51 PM
Default Evap Moniters

My Actron has three features of some help in the evap issue.
1 It had a drive cycle that just has the monitors that haven't run yet on screen flashing and as one passes it is removed from screen.
2 has the evap test that I am not sure if it works all the time or as you said it might not be my evap it may be my PCM.
3 Just noticed under special menu it has also Diagnostic monitor test and it shows these monitors.
1 $02
2 $05
3 $0A
4 $06
5 $0E
Can you tell me Les what emission monitors these are.It sure might help me in my evap issue until I get my own set of shop manuals.
In the actron it says there all ok but until I get more info on the Tech 2 I am holding off even though I really want one and could sell my other three. Witch I would gladly do by the way been trying to perches it has went from $252.00 to $405.00 with shipping but the want my pitcher from my Visa and I haven't ever left the country so I don't have one will keep you apprised on weather or not am able to get it or not because of complications.You know its because its in China and they have a new year sale but think I will check EBay and see what they have wont have the shipping issues to deal with.
Thanks for all your current help never would have got this far without the help.
Introduction Diagnostic Service Definitions
The following may occur as well:
• It may also erase engine management adaptive memory (some vehicle manufacturers only)
when codes are cleared. Depending on the vehicle, adaptive memory may not correct itself
without extensive driving.
• Other manufacturer specific “Clearing/Resetting” actions may also occur in response to this
request message.
• Normally the MIL should automatically turn off after a successful repair, if emissions are
normal. Refer to “Repair validation” on page 7.
IMPORTANT:
For safety and/or technical design reasons, some ECMs may not respond to this service under all
conditions.
NOTE: i In most cases, once a MIL is deactivated, the original code will remain in memory until forty to
eighty warm-up cycles are completed without the fault reappearing.
1.6.5 Service $05: Oxygen Sensor Monitoring Test Results
The purpose of this service is to allow access to the on-board oxygen sensor monitoring test
results (if implemented).
NOTE: i For CAN vehicles, Service $05 is not supported. Oxygen sensor test results are implemented in
Service $06. For non-CAN vehicles, manufacturers can use Service $06 as an alternative to
Service $05.
Different manufacturers may use many methods to calculate test results for this service. The scan
tool converts test values and displays them in the standard units of measurement.
The ECM transmits the latest test results available from the system. Test results are retained by
the ECM, even over multiple ignition OFF cycles, until replaced by the results of a more recent
test. Test results are requested by Test ID. (See Test ID Table).
Test results can be reported either as a constant or as a calculated value, depending on the Test
ID. Calculated values are reported with minimum and maximum limits.
NOTE: i Depending on the manufacturer, calculated values may be rounded off, which means that a test
may fail despite the values reading within minimum and maximum limits.
$03 Confirmed diagnostic trouble codes
$05 Oxygen sensor test data
$06 Specific on-board monitoring test results
$07 Pending diagnostic trouble codes
Table 1-4 Reset Information (sheet 2 of 2)
Service Items to reset

Last edited by johnnylovsey; 02-17-2016 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Found the information on line myself
Old 02-16-2016, 11:00 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

I have tried for couple days now but cant ever get a real person.Want to know if what you see on the link is what you get and does it work on 2003 blazer 4.3 liter L/S 4x4 X4Door You told me it has real time data like on the evap system so you can see what passes and when.also curious does it have the ability to do a bay test for the evap if the tool and the vehicle do it then the test can be done without the drive cycle.Please answer this won't hold you responsible for any tool flaws but can't seem to get info any other way.

Tech2 Diagnostic Scan Tool for GM with Candi Interface (GM/SAAB/OPEL/SUZUKI/ISUZU/Holden)
try this link. this is the site I bought mine from, couldn't find it earlier. The "Tech2" connects to all GM cars with obd2, the candi interface is for advanced cars. This is just a tool, it will not fix your car. It will give you data, you have to be able to interpret what it's telling you. You still have to do a drive cycle. Maybe you should pay a shop. I'm done.

Last edited by 10-78 edac; 02-16-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:47 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

My Actron has three features of some help in the evap issue.
1 It had a drive cycle that just has the monitors that haven't run yet on screen flashing and as one passes it is removed from screen.
2 has the evap test that I am not sure if it works all the time or as you said it might not be my evap it may be my PCM.
3 Just noticed under special menu it has also Diagnostic monitor test and it shows these monitors.
1 $02
2 $05
3 $0A
4 $06
5 $0E
Can you tell me Les what emission monitors these are.It sure might help me in my evap issue until I get my own set of shop manuals.
In the actron it says there all ok but until I get more info on the Tech 2 I am holding off even though I really want one and could sell my other three. Witch I would gladly do by the way been trying to perches it has went from $252.00 to $405.00 with shipping but the want my pitcher from my Visa and I haven't ever left the country so I don't have one will keep you apprised on weather or not am able to get it or not because of complications.You know its because its in China and they have a new year sale but think I will check EBay and see what they have wont have the shipping issues to deal with.
Sounds like hexadecimal (computer) code if you put them all together in a string. Scanners communicate with the PCM through such code. Sorry, but you would have to consult your Actron tech support or documentation to know what they represent for certain.

Also, just to be clear, I don't suspect the PCM is bad - only that the PCM is not running the evap tests for some reason yet to be determined. But wait - did you just state that your Actron says all the emission monitors are OK?

Don't give anyone your personal information that could be used for identity theft. Pretty strange asking for passport info I think (why would you even have a visa, and to what country?). Better to stick with Paypal for dubious vendors - or take out a gift Visa card where the most you could loose is the amount that you put on it. If you do the gift card thing - make sure you call the card people and specifically preauthorize any out of country purchase or it is doubtful to go through. Foreign charge card ripoffs are a big problem for the card companies.

Last edited by LesMyer; 02-17-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
Sounds like hexadecimal (computer) code if you put them all together in a string. Scanners communicate with the PCM through such code. Sorry, but you would have to consult your Actron tech support or documentation to know what they represent for certain.

Also, just to be clear, I don't suspect the PCM is bad - only that the PCM is not running the evap tests for some reason yet to be determined. But wait - did you just state that your Actron says all the emission monitors are OK?

Don't give anyone your personal information that could be used for identity theft. Pretty strange asking for passport info I think (why would you even have a visa, and to what country?). Better to stick with Paypal for dubious vendors - or take out a gift Visa card where the most you could loose is the amount that you put on it. If you do the gift card thing - make sure you call the card people and specifically preauthorize any out of country purchase or it is doubtful to go through. Foreign charge card ripoffs are a big problem for the card companies.
They just want the visa pitcher but your rite it seems to be pretty difficult to perches this tool even though it is $200.00 less than PayPal.On the last post I put what those $02 Display current data meant
on my scanner found it on line.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:32 PM

Yes the emission monitors status is ok and on post 157 I put what I found online to explain there meaning.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:38 PM

Thanks Les also post 159 found out what S02 means and the other ones.Thank you for the Identity concern went through that years ago have that identity theft protection pay every month since 2010 One Million dollar protection.

Last edited by johnnylovsey; 02-17-2016 at 04:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Evap IM