2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Extended Warranty Companies?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:52 PM
dawnorrhea is on a distinguished road
Default Extended Warranty Companies?

So, I made the mistake of purchasing an extended used car warranty through the dealership when I bought my Blazer three weeks ago. Long story short...I got a phone call last week saying that the warranty was no longer valid because the vehicle was too old. They had made a mistake. Go figure.

I'm wondering if anybody out there has a good warranty company they'd recommend. I'm running on 87k and am already starting to notice the random problems that everybody else has mentioned on here (erratic fuel gauge, leaking power steering fluid, power window issues, parking break and hood like to get stuck, etc.)

I really don't know too much about cars but am trying to learn. I think my safest bet would be to find a warranty that covers pretty much everything and has a relatively inexpensive deductible.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:03 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

Lots of ext. warrantys out there. Do your homework as many are not reliable and some are not financially sound. If they go bankrupt you have lost your money.
One thing to check for BEFORE you buy get a copy of the actual warranty, not just a sales brochure. Read it carefully. If it lists what parts are covered you do not want it. The list may have a hundred parts or more and look impresive at first glance but there are thousands of parts on the car. You want a warranty that says what is not covered. That way if it is not on the list it is covered.
Google is your friend. Try searches with various combinations such as extended warranty problems, auto waranty complaints etc.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:50 PM
dawnorrhea is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Terry. I have used Google a ridiculous amount of times and I always end up getting frustrated because I just get too many companies to check out. I was hoping that maybe somebody out there could recommend a company so I can cut to the chase and check out the ones that people are already familiar with...and have had luck with.

So who out there has an extended warranty plan on a used car that they are happy with?
And what about companies I should steer clear of?

Last edited by dawnorrhea; 11-11-2009 at 05:52 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-12-2009, 04:13 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

I think these warranties are a rip off in most cases. They are not cheap & many find ways out of covering the problem your having. Then finding a shop to except these warranties, or you trying to get your money back from these companies. It might be cheaper & easier to find a GOOD SHOP & get what breaks repaired. I know I would never pay for these warranties. They rate on the same level as Pay day loan places in my mind.