2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Faulty Rear Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 10:18 PM
bobb is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 1sttimejimmyowner
I still haven't been able to get my glass window or bottom door open.The lock has been punched out.Somebody posted on this thread that you have to go inside raise the carpet,then remove the door panel to get them open can somebody post pics.Thanks
There are screws on the inaccessible sides that must be removed to get the door panel off, and a screw at the top latch that securely holds it. You cannot access these without opening the window. The options to get the window open are to drill a hole in the right panel location so you can operate the latch with a screwdriver, or to break the door panel loose from the top mounting screw so you can get your fingers in to operate the window latch.

There are enough clips to firmly hold the panel in place if you break the top mount, and it can be repaired later. I did not have a picture of where to drill the hole, so I removed the handle from the inside of the door, inserted a crowbar to the left, and pried until the plastic bracket at the top of the panel broke. It was then simple to open the window and then the door. Removing the metal panel on the door after removing the plastic cover lets you access the lock mechanism.

On my car the plastic clip that attaches the power actuator snapped in half so the window would not open at all. I was able to repair the plastic part with some wire and plastic epoxy since I could not find it at my usual sources and GM will only sell the whole assembly. If anyone knows where to get this part I would appreciate it, just in case my repair does not hold.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:50 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Ok I know its been a long while since I posted about this thread but anyways here goes.
I finaly got the back door panel off so I can get to all the locking mechnisms and latches inside the door.
I tried pulling on the handle I think releases the back door and something released,also have tried pulling the wire mechanisms that release the latches/locks and to no avail Im still stuck.I know Im, getting close but theres something that still not releasing.I`ll upload and post some pics to see if this will help.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:08 PM

heres the pics on the area I need help.

Attached Thumbnails  Faulty Rear Hatch-closeup-main-locking-mechanism.jpg    Faulty Rear Hatch-jimmmy-back-pannel.jpg    Faulty Rear Hatch-jimmy-latch-side.jpg  
Old 10-26-2014, 10:44 PM
Starting Member
portlyjoe is on a distinguished road

I'm new here guys so please bear with me. I have a similar problem. I own a 1997 4 door blazer. the rear widow vibrates when the engine is on and the window is engaged with the latch. It sounds like there is something vibrating away in there. And as with other posts Ive seen the wiper does not work. the fluid seems to weep from the weather stripping on the top of the drop down gate. Any suggestions as to what i will be dealing with?

Old 10-27-2014, 10:17 AM

Also I would like to know how these doors open,do they swing open to the side or down like a tailgate,some insight would be appreciated.thanks

Old 05-24-2015, 08:39 AM
berksbill is on a distinguished road

I did Engineer's method... as a quick fix, using coat hanger piece. Works great.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:00 PM
Starting Member
tenorsaxdude is on a distinguished road

I cleaned mine of corrosion and walla it works like new. Like most things with the Jimmy/Blazers they corrode and either need to be cleaned or replaced with age

Old 12-19-2018, 01:54 AM
Beginning Member
Jakebax84 is on a distinguished road
Default 98 LS 4Dr 4x4

My interior hatch release button seems to make a clicking noise inside the dash somewhere when pressed. However the hatch doesn't pop. The hatch doesn't lock or unlock with the power locks either. The key doesn't even lock or unlock the hatch. The little blue piece is in tact and so is the connector that usually breaks. I don't get it. I've checked a bunch of fuses too. Like horn, locks, and other ones. Even replaced what seemed to be good fuses. WHAT THE HECK AM I MISSING HERE?!?!

Old 02-07-2019, 10:24 AM
la_blazer is on a distinguished road

Same thing happened to me. The only way is to insert your hand between the glass and the door and manipulate the switch, with the door open it is easy to replace the part. If you have very large hands it will be impossible, look for someone with smaller hands.