2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

A few little problems on my 2001 Jimmy.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 11:39 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough
Default A few little problems on my 2001 Jimmy.

I have several little problems with it that I figure would be easier to keep track of answers to the questions in a single thread as apposed to posting each one in the separate sections. So here goes.

#1 - I have a problem with the ABS lights coming on in the dash. Using a code reader that reads the sub systems it's not a wheel sensor. According to the reader it's some sort of general failure. The entire ABS module has been changed with no change. Only thing for sure is that sometimes the lights come on immediately and other times it takes a few seconds to several miles down the road before they come on.

#2 - The driver's side window will on occasion decide not to roll down. This only happens when it's rolled all the way up and all I have to do is hold the button and shut the door at the same time and it starts working again. I have read the window motors are weak but since it does work with no noise or other issues such as acting weak or being slow then I'm not sure.

#3 - I cannot find the EVAP canister or the vacuum bottle. After the dealership's mechanic replaced the ABS module I found a vacuum line loose that was right by the brake booster/master cylinder area. I capped the line so it isn't open and leaking. I've seen on other trucks where there was a canister that was mounted on the hood but they were way to big to fit in the space on my truck and it doesn't have one there now and I can't remember what year the others were. I bought a Chilton for it but the book doesn't mention the specific location of the canisters. The book did mention that if a vacuum line comes off of or begins leaking on the EVAP canister that you'll notice the smell of gas fumes when fueling, which I do and only when I fuel it.

#4 - Most likely related to the vacuum problem it sounds as though the actuator on the front diff tries to engage when the defrost is running and the truck gets under a load such as climbing a hill with the cruise control on. It only happens when the cruise is on too. I'll notice an ever so slight whining noise coming from under the truck after climbing a hill or something along that line with the cruise on. As I slow down the noise sounds a little more gear like and when I come to an almost complete halt I hear a little thunk and the noise stops. I assume its tied to the vacuum problem since the actuator for the front diff is vacuum operated. Otherwise the 4wd works great when I hit the button and stops like it's supposed to when I hit the 2HI.

Well, there's other little problems like anything that's used but I know their causes and am working on them as I can. Otherwise the truck is solid, runs great and even gets half way decent gas mileage. Thanks for the help guys, these problems are the ones that allude answers thus far and in a central knowledge base such as this I'm hoping someone may be familiar with or had the same problem(s) and have an answer.

Thanks again guys.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Starting Member
stlwaco is on a distinguished road

#3... look behind the drivers side corner of the rear bumper.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Beginning Member
ArRay68 is on a distinguished road

have you checked the vacuum connector on the intake? it is where it starts. Driver side Intake. THe vacuum pod is on the driver's side. One line will feed the inside a/c controls. The other will go to the vacuum solenoid on firewall. There will be a line from solenoid to the 4wd actuator under the battery. Does it try to engage without pressing the 4wd button? That may be the solenoid if so.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:00 AM
ZR2Daddy01 is on a distinguished road

Check the bolts that hold the window motor to the regulator, my motor was replaced prior to me buying it and two of the three bolts holding it in place came loose causing the same symptoms you described. It had just enough movement to disengage and when it was out you couldn't hear the motor at all so it seemed like it is dead.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Starting Member
Frankiesurf is on a distinguished road

I have the same issues as #3 and #4.

I can't find the vacuum can and have the exact hose disconnected that the OP does. The line comes from where the PCV line goes in, comes across the firewall then T's off. One line goes back around the firewall the other is now plugged with a screw.

I too have that same noise occasionally. I can't nail it down to when it happens exclusively but it is the same noise and stops when the truck stops or you put it in 4hi.

Any help would be awesome on this.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Starting Member
Frankiesurf is on a distinguished road

I was able to get a vacuum can and it made absolutely no difference.

I did notice that I hear a vacuum sucking sound when i hear the noise. I don't know if this is the cause of the problem or a symptom.