2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Front end clunking

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 04:46 PM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Toocute350
I just recieved the conical washers today.I had ordered them saturday 21 2015, at my local chevrolet dealer.I will be installing them tomorrow morning.They almost look like a feral washer that`s used on an 5/8x 3/8 compression angle stop valve that`s used in a kitchen or bathroom on the cold and hot water lines.I can see by the way their made, that the more you tighten the hood hinge bolt..The more the conical washer`s will compress.This will eventually fill in the gap between the hinge bolt and the gap of the hinge itself.I`ll let you know the out come.
That`s what it was.It was the hood hinge on the driver side.It had play in it.I installed the conical washers.No clunking what so ever.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:56 PM
puttster is on a distinguished road

Clunkety clunkety clunk, that is the noise that was coming from my front end. Low speed, city streets. I could visualise a rod or bar or shock loose from its bushing clunking against something under there on every little road bump.

BUT I had recently been involved in a front-ender and the grill and likely the hood had been pushed back. huh, maybe I should try the hood washers everyone talks about here on this great forum. I did. They work!

Prop the hood up, remove the corner cowl (fake screw holding it on is really just a plastic fastener, remove center with needlenose pliers). Remove the horizontal bolt that goes through the fender and the hood brackets. Put the washer on the bolt, beveled side to bracket, and tighten it all back up. The problem is the hole in the fender bracket is too big so the beveled washer fills it and stops the hood from sliding back and forth.

I got the washers at the GM parts distributor in Houston, $5 a pack. Don't do what I did and get two, each pack contains two washers.

puttster

Attached Thumbnails Front end clunking-hood-hinge-bolt.jpg  
Old 02-23-2016, 08:15 PM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by puttster
Clunkety clunkety clunk, that is the noise that was coming from my front end. Low speed, city streets. I could visualise a rod or bar or shock loose from its bushing clunking against something under there on every little road bump.

BUT I had recently been involved in a front-ender and the grill and likely the hood had been pushed back. huh, maybe I should try the hood washers everyone talks about here on this great forum. I did. They work!

Prop the hood up, remove the corner cowl (fake screw holding it on is really just a plastic fastener, remove center with needlenose pliers). Remove the horizontal bolt that goes through the fender and the hood brackets. Put the washer on the bolt, beveled side to bracket, and tighten it all back up. The problem is the hole in the fender bracket is too big so the beveled washer fills it and stops the hood from sliding back and forth.

I got the washers at the GM parts distributor in Houston, $5 a pack. Don't do what I did and get two, each pack contains two washers.

puttster
I thought the same thing with my front end clunking.Bought the washers, installed washers clunking went away.A member from Germany told me about the conical washers.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:39 PM
johnnylovsey is on a distinguished road
Default The Clunk noise 1995 -2003 blazers

Front end clunk Noise in reverse wheel turned sharp right
If you search the web you might find a post as to what it is causing the clunk in most cases.
And another way to get lucky on the internet is check U Tube for answers.
Front end clunk noise 95 to 2003 blazers. Only in reverse backing up wheel cranked to the right usually
but it can start clunking all the time while driving and especially going over speed bumps angled not straight across the bump.

Last edited by johnnylovsey; 11-14-2016 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:19 PM
Rock18 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DaveHearne
Something worth checking is the hood hinges. It's a common problem on these trucks & the clunking sounds exactly like it could be coming from the suspension somewhere. It happened to mine. Grab the back edge of the hood each side & try to wobble it up & down.
If that's the problem GM dealers sell a couple of conical washers that cures the clunk. Part number - 12383460
Oh my gosh. I've had my Blazer since 2000, noticed the extra clunk within a month or so from buying, had it looked at three different times with no results. They told me it came from having selected the Touring suspension option and was just resigned to living with it.

$10 with tax and 15 minutes or so to install and IT'S GONE! HALLELUJAH!

It still makes plenty of other noises but that clunk is gone and the truck is noticeably more pleasant to drive now.

I wound up going though a dealer since there's one nearby, but they're also available here:
Washer | Genuine GM | 12383460 : GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts ($3/washer plus $13 shipping)

or eBay with cheaper shipping:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/152438468561
(or if that link has gone dead, just search eBay for the part# 12383460)

Old 06-07-2017, 04:40 PM
johnnylovsey is on a distinguished road
Default Front End Clunk Noise

Turned out to be the upper ball joint I let Les Schwabb test and find for me. Then took it to parents garage and replaced all four upper and lower. And it works great no noise at all from the front end. Problem solved and fixed at about $150.00 used Raybestes ball joints due to there through testing and superiority. In keeping the grease on and around the ball and socket.https://blazerforum.com/forum/images...icon_hyper.gif

Last edited by johnnylovsey; 06-07-2017 at 04:43 PM.