2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Front Hub Replacement. My findings

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Front Hub Replacement. My findings

This might belong in the Tech section or maybe the Steering and Suspension area but since it was done on a Second Gen Blazer.. I put it here.
__________________________________________________ ________________________
With Tires still on the ground , Crack loose the Center Nut.
36mm deep socket for the center Half Shaft Nut. Lisle # 39550 (about $20-25)
Caliper can stay attached to Caliper Bracket.. unbolt the Bracket and pull it off the Rotor as one piece.
Lift entire front of the car off the ground so you can easily turn the Steering Wheel from full Left to Full Right.

13mm hardware holds the ABS cable to it’s brackets. Reuse two old brackets from the old Cable to keep the cable installed as original. It is a Nut and Bolt installation on the upper ‘A” arm bracket by the Shock. You need to get a wrench behind the ‘A’ arm to get this off. The cable Bracket closest to the Hub is held on with a 10mm nut. This is the only bracket that comes on the new ABS cable.

18 mm Box wrench for taking off the Upper Caliper Bracket Bolt. No room for socket.

3 bolts for Hub assembly: The two lower Bolts are accessible with 18mm socket and ratchet, a 3” extension helps. Turning Steering wheel from one side to the other makes the hardware easy to get at. The Top bolt: 3/8 drive, small socket and a 6” extension to clear the Ball joint works very well. 3/8 sockets are thinner and shorter.
I was able to crack the Bolt loose with my ½” drive stuff but the larger thicker Socket hit the Upper Ball Joint as the bolt came out.
A 3 jaw Puller was needed on one hub. The Half shaft did not want to let go. After the Shaft broke loose from the Hub, a smack with a hammer got the Hub out of the Knuckle. A Slide Hammer wasn’t needed but maybe would have been better then a whack with a hammer.

Filing the Knuckle opening cleaned it up before installing new Hub Assembly. I used Anti Seize all in that area to make future removals easier. Make sure the old Rubber ‘O’ ring is removed from the knuckle. Anti Seize on the Spline of the shaft as well.
Install the new knuckle so the cable faces up and forward… It has to sit in the Brake Dust Shield properly. Note the Cutout in the Shield as you disassemble the old knuckle.

Before installing the Rotor and Caliper I ran the new ABS cable. The installed Rotor may have made it inconvenient.

Anti Seize on the Center section of the New Hub will help the rotor come off next time. Rotor goes back on, then drop the caliper and bracket over rotor and bolt up to Knuckle. Put Tire back on, lower to the ground and torque Center nut to 103 ft/lbs.