2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Line Popping off

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 05:53 PM
ajcwf9 is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Line Popping off

Hey all,
I replaced my fuel filter about a month ago and after that I've had a weird issue. The line pops off the front of the filter on the quick connect. Nothing is damaged, no cracks, bends, or deformations, and I was careful when I took it off. It seems to be random, its happened twice, once when pulling out of a parking space after driving all day, and then once when cruising around right after work. There's no pattern to it, but I am worried now since it did happen on the highway (don't want to be driving around like that). The only thing that I can really think of is when i removed the old filter the plastic ring that secures the filter split, so now it just cradles the filter, its not as rigid as it should be. I don't know if that could cause the filter to wobble around and make the line come off, and I don't want to replace it and find out it didn't fix it. Has anyone had this issue before, or can someone with more experience put your thoughts in on this. 99 chevy blazer, 4x4, 4.3L 170xxx. Thanks for your input

Old 10-19-2011, 08:53 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

IF the male fitting is indeed split, it still shouldn't come out randomly as the it is compressed when pushed into the female fitting. Now, if that male fitting was split I would expect it to leak.

That being said, you may have a filter with just a bit too large of a female fitting. (biting tongue not to make a joke here) Best bet is to bring it back to where you bought it, have them double check the part number and compare it to another off the shelf.

I know, PITA, but that is my recommendation.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Beginning Member
Mike7075 is on a distinguished road

Perhaps the plastic of the doo-dad with the latching tabs is fatigued and the tabs are not clicking into place all of the way. Either way, I'd compare with another filter (perhaps different brand) as AJ stated and look at the lines on your truck closely.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:03 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

First ?:
Is the clip on the latching end replaceable? Look at it close... I'd look at mine but it's the old lady's car and she's at work.

Read this:

Retaining clips for 05 Impala fuel filter - ChevyTalk --The Social Network for Chevy Fans
then look at.. {for you lazy folk}

Dorman Products - 800-023

Or go here, scroll down and look closely at OPK 335
Sherco Auto Supply

I like the 3104 and 3105 because you can easily remove them.. just use small screwdriver to pry out to catch, then end catches over and it's all the way out and not damaged at all.

Second. That filter has to be firmly held down. I've heard of ford fuel filter connection {similar clip type} coming loose if the filter bounces around. Go to google images and do a search on in-line fuel filter brackets.
Some on there will use different methods to do it, besides the factory holder. Pick one you're familiar with and do it. I'd think Ty-Rap nylon ties {handcuff type}.

Last edited by pettyfog; 10-21-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:40 PM

Hey thanks for the replies,

I've confirmed that the line isn't cracked, I've inspected it closely and no fuel is leaking out, I did verify the fuel filter size. It is the right filter.

I'm also pretty sure the retainer isn't replaceable so on that note I'm going to snag a hose clamp from and use it to secure the filter to the frame.
Thanks for the replies.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:26 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by ajcwf9
Hey thanks for the replies,

I've confirmed that the line isn't cracked, I've inspected it closely and no fuel is leaking out, I did verify the fuel filter size. It is the right filter.

I'm also pretty sure the retainer isn't replaceable so on that note I'm going to snag a hose clamp from and use it to secure the filter to the frame.
Thanks for the replies.
My 99 uses this clip

Known as a GF 3103 some places

But.. WAIT! Look at attached... could the filters now be furnished with an improved version of that duckbill? Doesnt look removable. Okay because you had to remove the sleeve from the clip anyway

If THAT what you meant.. no wonder. Mine has the clip like above

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Line Popping off-blzr_filter1.jpg  

Last edited by pettyfog; 10-22-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:34 AM

My filter is exactly like the attached picture, so that's why I said the clip appeared to not be replaceable

Old 10-23-2011, 11:36 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

might as well try an new filter then maybe the filter was damaged during installation or defected when bought

Old 10-23-2011, 03:27 PM
BF Veteran

I'm afraid it MAY be that the body is damaged somewhat. If that's the case, try an approp sized Ty-Rap around the body between clip finger and can. About six inches long should be about right