2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Pressue Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 06:00 AM
Beginning Member
DrkJrny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel Pressue Problem

I'm having a problem with fuel pressure with my 2000 Chevy Blazer during startup. My Blazer will start up fine and doesn't sound like it is missing as it will idle fine. However when I take off, it bogs down for a few seconds and I can hear the engine chugging like it isn't burning the fuel properly. Once I get going (around5seconds)I do not have any more problems as long as I don't shut the engine down for a few minutes. No lights are showing up or anything of the like. If I let the engine run for a couple minutes to warmup a bit then I don't have the problem.Ichanged out the fuel filter a few months ago, but I'm beginning to wonder if it is time to do it again. Any opinions?

Old 01-08-2009, 06:44 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Fuel Pressue Problem

Miles? Cat. Converter rattle? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge-that would be a good thing to know/eliminate. Last complete tune-up? Let us know-Jerry

Old 01-08-2009, 06:50 AM
DaleA is an unknown quantity at this point

This summer, I had almost the same problem. Also my Blazer was hard starting and passing performance and towing performance were abysmal. I had the fuel pressure checked and it was about 10 lbs under spec. Even that much difference in pressure makes a huge difference in performance. I finnaly said this is it when my 16 year old daughter ran out of gas (the gas gauge failed already and is built into the fuel pump). Putting the new pump in was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be there probably is a write up somewhere here or maybe I could do one. Fuel pumps are not cheap but they sure look like it. All wiring is exposed (that scared me) and since I had everything out, I replaced the filter which is just in front of tank. If you try to change it yourself, tell your wife so she doesn't fill it up with gas and not tell you. My 1e year old daughter helped me and since this was a new untried project we went slow and only spent 4 hrs changing the pump. A lot of time was spent draining the 18 gal tank that my wife filled. After all was done, she ran like a new car. Power for towing and passing and just plain pinning it was much better than I remembered. The difference was fantastic. We are back to 19 mpg highway and 10 mpg towing the trailer (in 3 rd gear of course this always sucked) I've always thought about putting a bumper hitch on my big truck with a 550 CAT and 18 speed tranny, but that's for a different forum.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:26 AM
Beginning Member
DrkJrny is an unknown quantity at this point

My blazer has around 98k miles on it. I notice that the convertor does rattle a bit if I rev up the engine. Unfortunately I do not have a fuel pressure gage. Changed out the plugs/wires about ayear ago.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I too am curious as to the fuel pressure. You may want to invest in a gauge.

Typically a clogged cat will cause issues at higher RPMs, not just on initial throttle opening.

When was the last time you cleaned the MAF sensor? I have run into slightly similar issues and found the MAF sensor to be quite dirty.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:34 AM
DaleA is an unknown quantity at this point

Swartikk, how do you clean the MAS? I have a drop in K&N in the stock airbox and I'm sure there is oil on the MAS. Btw, thanx for all your input on all my posts. Either you stayed in a Holiday Inn Express or you ARE the Blazer Guru

Old 01-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

HOW TO: MAF Sensor Cleaning