2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

fuel pump electrical lines

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Beginning Member
pinetopfirefighter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default fuel pump electrical lines

In addition to my earlier post regarding my fuel pump, I am wondering where theelectrical lines are by the fuel tank.Before replacing the fuel pump, I want to test the wires going to it. Any help is appreciated.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: fuel pump electrical lines

In the wiring harness near the fuel tank... But you already knew that... The power wire for the pump runs directly to the fuel pump relay.

The only real way to test the wiring is to remove the electrical connection at the pump. By the point where you can get to the wiring at the pump, you will be 80% of the way into replacing the pump. Well, that is unless you have arms like Gumby.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:10 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks. Now I am wondering if I should drop the tank or use the cut a hole in the floor method. I am still amazed that the fuel pump has gone out again. Anyway, thanks again and I will keep you posted.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:25 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you find that it is the fuel pump, do yourself a favor and get an AC Delco replacement. The available aftermarket alternatives just do not hold up.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Beginning Member

Again, thanks for the help. I just got the tank cover off, and am looking for the electrical wires. I am guessing they are the ones near the back of the tank???????? I just want to make sure there is juice going to the pump before I pull the tank out. I also tried to tapping on the tank trick. No dice.

Also, I am somewhat mechanically inclined but am no pro. I have a Chiltons manual for reference, and of course all of the pros here on the forum. Can or should this be done by a novice?

Old 09-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Many a novice has done this repair. So long as you have the tools, patience, and willingness to do the work, I am sure you can get it done. Do not hesitate to ask questions!

From what I can remember, yes, the wiring is towards the back of the tank. This picture of a 1998 4dr Blazer fuel tank confirms that:

*Image courtesy of RockAuto.com & Dormanproducts.com*

Old 09-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Beginning Member

Nice pic. Thanks !! Now, as I do not have a jack should I drop the tank or cut the floor? I do not mind cutting the floor. Just looking for the easiest way to do this.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Beginning Member

Nevermind. I found everything from the rear wheel well. The pump and connections are directly below a cross member. [:@] I guess if I screw it up too bad I will just have to take it to the shop anyway. Is that tank pretty heavy (empty)??

Old 09-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Empty, no. A gallon of gasoline weights roughly 7lbs so you want it to be as close to empty as you can get it.

If it were me, I would drop the tank.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Beginning Member

Alright.. I just found that the little plastic piece that is on the throttle cable and attaches it to the injector "thingy" is broken. I manually opened the "thingy" to give is gas. Checked the schrader valve and fuel came shooting out. Still not hearing the fuel pump though. Can you tell me where the fuel pump test post is ???

Quick Reply: fuel pump electrical lines