2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

fuel pump interchangeability

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Beginning Member
lloyddavid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default fuel pump interchangeability

1995 Jimmy, 4.3, 2door, auto, 4x4; my fuel pump assembly from the top of the tank down needs replacing; what interchanges, years and models; hoping to get one with pump included so I can pull the old out an have a new fixture.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't use a used pump......ever. These things are a pain, I've searched high and low and finally have gotten the info i needed to do mine, now i'm not sure if the 95's had all the options of different fuel system combo's as the 98's like mine but here's some input.

Get your RPO codes together, write em all down whatever. Go online and find the right pump (RPO codes might be needed for finding the right pump, my RPO is NE2 for example which means it has an 18 gallon plastic tank. K55 is another one for the "robust" fuel system or low lubricity system depending on what website you're on).

Use only Delphi or ACDelco pumps, I recommend replacing the whole sender not just the pump but that's your choice.

Buy a new lower filler neck hose (the one that goes to the tank from the steel filler neck) as well as vent hose (the one next to the filler). They may not be bad but even on my 98 I had to cut them off because they were just plain stuck.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE THE TANK VENT....when you think you have all the hoses/lines removed, check again (I didn't and am currently in the middle of a NIGHTMARE) on my tank (might be different than yours) there's a vent on the end of the tank opposite the fuel pump (toward the front of the truck) 2doors may not even have them or they might be placed near the pump but double check.

Good luck. Hopefully the 2door tanks are easier to replace than the 4door LOL

Old 11-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Beginning Member
lloyddavid is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in the spot I am because I bought a cheap pump; I just have a simple SLS; no hyper ignition, just the spyder injection; when I look for a '95 all I see are pumps and complete assembly's seem to be for '96 and above.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

Hmm, let me take a look and see what i find. Not that i doubt you but it doesn't make sense that they wouldn't sell the whole assembly.

EDIT: It appears you are correct that there doesn't seem to be a readily available Delphi or Delco complete unit. HOWEVER if you are interested in buying the sender/hanger and replacing it all at once i found this http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1113602 for you

Oh also. Tanks are cheap. I wouldn't buy one from a junkyard if you don't have to. (however if you run into what I did where my tank is discontinued you may have to as I did)

Last edited by Mike98Blazer; 11-06-2011 at 04:51 PM.