2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel pump problem??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 06:36 PM
filtalr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel pump problem??

Hi all - haven't posted in a long time - my Blazer has been good to me until lately... It started as a lack of power soon after starting up. Found I had to let it idle for a while and then it ran just fine. Yesterday it took a few attempts to start and then ran fine. This morning = no start ... had to pour a little bit of fuel in it to get it started. But then ran with a bit of sluggishness ... and stalled out twice but restarted and got it home. Turned it off and it started right back up. Haven't done a pressure test ... think it's the pump or perhaps filter?

Seems the pump is still working since it runs after a bit of coaxing ... haven't changed the filter or pressure regulator and it's got close to 200K on it.

Any insight on what to check would be appreciated. Kinda afraid to drive it to a parts store to get a pressure check gauge... hoping to just drive it to my friend's shop tomorrow and work on it....

Also - ever since I bought it - it's had a small leak somewhere above halfway on the fuel tank ... so I don't fill it all the way unless I'm going on a roadtrip that will use the fuel before it gets to the leaky level ... I KNOW - it's WAY past time to fix that.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:05 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

in my exp the fuel pump either works correctly or not at all.
if you can hear it buzzing with keys turned but not cranking the engine then i would say pump is working.
i would check filter first...cheapest and easiest...maybe its just plugged up. it sounds like your priming your engine basically so the initial flow isnt there.

report back what ya find.
good luck

Old 07-24-2011, 07:09 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

i say start by checking the fuel pressure thats the best way to start

Old 07-24-2011, 07:10 PM

Just went out and it started fine after sitting for 4 hours. Seem whatever the deteriorating issue is - it only doesn't start now until after it has sat at least overnight. Weird but just last week it was parked at the airport for 4 days and it started right up ... but whatever it is it still has to sit and idle before taking off or it has no power at all...

Old 07-25-2011, 07:26 AM
Beginning Member
cdw78 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
i say start by checking the fuel pressure thats the best way to start
+1
Same issues with my 97, wouldnt start with out starting fluid, when it was running wouldn't take the gas, just bogged down the more ya gave it.
Fuel pressure / pump was the problem..... the pump was working, but it was to weak to pump the req pressure of 60psi.

I'd bet yours is a fuel issue as well, test the pressure asap!
Goodluck!

Last edited by cdw78; 07-25-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:23 PM

Does it take a while for the ECM to adjust to a new pump? Just asking cause we changed pump and filter today and it seemed to have a sluggish throttle response at first - which got better after driving it for a while.

BTW - the old pump had about 40lbs pressure (we fashioned a pressure check gauge out of hose and a gauge - not sure how damn accurate it was) which dropped to about 20 after the pump shut off. The new one (Carter - Delphi was just TOO damn much) was about 63 which dropped to about 50 when pump shut off and stayed ... so new pump seems to be within proper parameters... guess the REAL check will be when I go out and start it in the AM....