2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 10:31 PM
Beginning Member
returnofsid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel pump replacement

Well, I'm glad I listened to all the advice I got awhile back about the Fuel Level Sensor. It's been bad since we purchased the vehicle and you all suggested I either replace Fuel Pump assembly or wait for the fuel pump to go, as apposed to just replacing the Level Sensor. We relied on our odometer this whole time. Well, today, the fuel pump went TU.

This is on a 97 Blazer with 4.3. It's a 4 door. Any suggestions as to where I should go for the best deal? Any suggestions or advice on replacing this myself? Any particular things I need to know or tools I'll need to have? Any help you can provide will be VERY much appreciated, as the rig is parked at my girlfriend's work....lol.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:36 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

The Airtex pumps from Autozone seem to be pretty good quality, and pretty well reviewed online. I think mine was around $280 after tax. AC Delco is definitely going to be the best quality though...but I think theyre around $350-$400

Old 03-31-2009, 10:38 PM
Beginning Member

Well, you just confirmed what we just found out...lol. I've been looking up prices online and also calling around. Autozone is beating any online pricing I'm finding. Any special tips or tricks to doing the work myself?

Old 03-31-2009, 11:15 PM
Beginning Member
umpa5032 is on a distinguished road

patience helps, hopefully the gas tank isn't full and dropping a tank is always easier if u have someone else to help. If you have access to air tools, they make it a lot easier.....

Old 03-31-2009, 11:31 PM
Beginning Member

Luckily, there's only 4 or 5 gallons in the tank. It seems I read somewhere, that the pump has to come out kinda strange. Something about it coming straight out a few inches...then having to be turned to bring it the rest of the way out...lol. Guess it'll be an adventure. Other than the fuel pump assembly and the in-tank fuel filter, are there any other parts I should make sure I have on hand?

Old 04-01-2009, 12:40 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by umpa5032
If you have access to air tools, they make it a lot easier.....
I have the full array of air tools at my disposal, and did the job completely with hand tools. The only real bolts you have to mess with are the 3 ground straps, and those should really be done by feel anyway, so you can evenly lower the tank

If you have gas still in it, you can remove the hose at the tank and get it out. If you enjoy the taste of gas, siphoning works But I bought a $10 hand pump from autozone to get mine out (I had close to 13 gallons in mine though ). FYI, if you go the pump route, gas will ruin the pump if you dont clean it out..apparently they use rubber o-rings that arnt E10 safe..

As for the pump, the intank filter makes the whole pump assembly a giant L. So yea it has to lift out a ways, then rotate/angle to get the lower part out. Also the locking cam ring that secures the pump to the tank can take some finesse to loosen. Use a screwdriver wrapped in a rag (so you dont spark) and just tap the ring around so it slides. Then the pump lifts out.

Its a pretty easy job..but..take your time so you dont snap any lines!

ESPECIALLY THAT LITTLE VENT HOSE IN THE FRONT OF THE TANK!!!!!!

Also make sure you get a fuel filter! When the pump dies, it sends tsunamis of little black crap through the lines, which can easily clog the filter. You dont wanna ruin your new pump by having a clogged sending line do ya

Last edited by rriddle3; 04-01-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:25 AM
Beginning Member

Wow, thank you so much!! The pic helps too!! As for the filter, you're talking about the in-tank fuel filter right? From what I understand, there's 2 fuel filters, one in the tank and one along the frame not far from the tank?

Old 04-01-2009, 01:47 AM
BF Veteran

Nah I was talking about replacing the external filter along the frame rail. The internal filter just makes it a tad more exciting to place the pump in the tank...not a replaceable part.

The external filter is like $10 at autozone..just pick it up with your pump

Old 04-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Beginning Member

Alrighty, Will do!!! Thanks again. Looks like I'm going to have an exciting Friday!!! I'll keep everyone updated...lol.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Beginning Member

Alright one more question...maybe...lol.
Autozone sells Airtex pumps with a 1 year warranty. Schucks, with the recent buy out, now sells Carter pumps, also with a 1 year warranty. The Carter pump retails for about $50.00 more than the Airtex, but Schucks will price match. Any words of wisdom on which pump would be better? Or are they all made by the same manufacturer and different stickers are slapped on them? LOL

Quick Reply: Fuel pump replacement