2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 06:57 AM
hoosierhilljack is on a distinguished road

I appreciate the info on the fuel tank vent valve. I will be watching for it. I have a full tank of fuel, and as soon as I can remove the hoses from the fill end of the tank I will be siphoning the fuel out to make the job easier. So while thats draining I will search long and carefully for that part. The last thing I want to have happen is having to go locate a part I may have to wait two weeks to get. I hope to have it done today. Will keep an update of problems I encountered or anything I found to make this job easier for anyone else.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:47 AM
Beginning Member
returnofsid is an unknown quantity at this point

You'll need to lower the tank enough to get your arm up in there, to see and unhook the fuel tank vent valve. Oh, one other thing that the book doesn't tell you....remove the spare tire. It'll give you A LOT more room to work. The book also doesn't tell you to remove both skid plates, just the back one. I removed both and it made it a lot easier to remove the fuel filter.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Beginning Member
Agencyman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hoosierhilljack
...as soon as I can remove the hoses from the fill end of the tank I will be siphoning the fuel out...
After bruising my hands and arms attacking both ends of that hose section in turn, and gathering the requisite blood wounds to make it an "official" job, I gave up and cut the damn hose in a straight part near the tank.

Got a 1" Nylon hose coupler, two stainless clamps, and she was back together easily. I will have to look into the gasoline v. Nylon issue and maybe switch it to brass or stainless, but I think it should be OK.

You might try cable-tying a deep socket over the hose with a couple of inches sticking out, mine would not lay flat by itself, but with the socket on there, put it down to get almost all the fuel.

Bruce

Last edited by Agencyman; 04-24-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Beginning Member
returnofsid is an unknown quantity at this point

I also was unable to remove the fill or vent tube from the tank, after hours of cussing, bleeding and screaming. I ended up cutting them also. However, I didn't cut them until I was sure I could get them from a source OTHER than the dealership. Dealership pricing for the fill hose, which is about 4" long, was about $60.00. Dealership price for the vent hose was about $30.00. I purchased both from House of Hose, here in Spokane, for under $10.00.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:06 AM
hoosierhilljack is on a distinguished road

Well, I however was able to remove the fill and vent hoses. I just hit them with Liquid Wrench and used a smaller standard screwdriver to work around the fill end line untill loose enough to drop the tank and they came off. I also do appreciate the info on the vent line at the front of the tank. Came off perfectly.
There is a snap ring around the fuel pump itself that isnt too bad to remove. Used a dowel rod and a rubber mallet and pop, off it came and Tadaaaaa removed the fuel pump!
As I work through this more, I will keep everone updated and I do have some pics to post that may help others.
Couple of recommendations, get a deep socket 15 millimeter for a half inch driver to remove the tank retaining strap closest to the front of the truck. I would have died trying that with a wrench untill low enough for my other 15 mill. And if ya can, use air! Wish I did.
The pumps in the tanks up and it has started once, just once. So tracing electrical problems I will go into more later tonight.