2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 10:53 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 95Jimmy
Because the Delco/Delphi pumps last longer. In my experience Airtex lasted 6 months, Bosch (lifetime warranty no less) lasted 2 days, Delphi pump still going strong. There's no need to buy a new tank if it's not leaking and I would take drop the tank and inspect the straps before I bought new ones. It could have just not been installed properly or just needs to be tightened. Replacing the pump is easy to do just kind of a PITA.
It is going to need straps no matter what. The bolts are bent from offroading. A rock scratched both crossmembers and bent the tank strap bolts (luckily it missed everything else). The only way to get the tank off is to cut them off. The reason why I was looking at a new tank was originally because of the package Autozone has with a steel tank, straps, hardware and the straps. Now I know to avoid their fuel pumps at least. I just wanted to replace the tank anyway to know for sure there is no junk in it that can damage a new pump and also so I don't have to worry about future leaks in the existing tank.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by 95Jimmy
Because the Delco/Delphi pumps last longer. In my experience Airtex lasted 6 months, Bosch (lifetime warranty no less) lasted 2 days, Delphi pump still going strong. There's no need to buy a new tank if it's not leaking and I would take drop the tank and inspect the straps before I bought new ones. It could have just not been installed properly or just needs to be tightened. Replacing the pump is easy to do just kind of a PITA.
Also how is it a PITA? How easy is it really? Is there a good chance at breaking something? I have never done anything of this magnitude before. Alternator, yes. Radio, yes. Turn Signal Switch, Yes. Fuel pump, No.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:21 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

It not that bad to do. Just take your time and dont rush it. When you are dropping the tank make sure all the hoses and wires are unhooked and out of the way. Once the tank is down blow all the dirt and crap away from around the pump so it doesnt fall in the tank. Use a flat head screw driver or punch and a hammer to twist the lock ring. Moving from tab to tab so it come off evenly. Once thats out carefully pull the pump and sending unit out. Then put the new pump and sending unit in.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by NVANZEE
It not that bad to do. Just take your time and dont rush it. When you are dropping the tank make sure all the hoses and wires are unhooked and out of the way. Once the tank is down blow all the dirt and crap away from around the pump so it doesnt fall in the tank. Use a flat head screw driver or punch and a hammer to twist the lock ring. Moving from tab to tab so it come off evenly. Once thats out carefully pull the pump and sending unit out. Then put the new pump and sending unit in.
Great! Thank you. Do all the connections come off easily? Are the fuel lines a b**** to remove and do I need a special tool to do it? Sorry for asking, but I just don't want to destroy anything in the process and need to get the truck towed.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:42 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

wire connectors should come apart fairly easy. I cant remember if 98's had quick disconnect fuel line or hose clamps. Either way they're not to bad. No special tools will be needed

Old 04-07-2010, 02:27 AM

Also, is there enough slack in the hoses and wiring to be able to drop the tank an inch to disconnect them or do I have to disconnect them first, then cut the straps off and lower the tank?

Old 04-07-2010, 05:00 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

One additional thing you might consider. Read your warranty paperwork with your new pump. Most require you to also change the fuel filter and strainer (the in-tank pick-up filter) to have a warranty. Good idea anyway.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:50 AM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

Hey I just replaced my fuel filter yesterday and I'm only sixteen so I wouldn't worry too much, just make sure you have a friend to help, you won't regret it later...mine had a Bosch in it from the previous owner and I had the warrenty so I just got another one, if you have a fuel tank shield you need to take that off first, then get your straps off however necessary, make sure you don't forget about the filler and vent hoses on the side...overall it took me a few hours to do so not too bad, btw a lock ring tool can be pretty useful for getting it back on, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask!

Goodluck!
-Derek

Old 04-07-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gimpy Blazer
One additional thing you might consider. Read your warranty paperwork with your new pump. Most require you to also change the fuel filter and strainer (the in-tank pick-up filter) to have a warranty. Good idea anyway.
My fuel filter is brand new already, but I would put another one in just in case. Where is this strainer? Isn't it on the pump itself?

Old 04-07-2010, 01:36 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ComputerNerdBD
My fuel filter is brand new already, but I would put another one in just in case. Where is this strainer? Isn't it on the pump itself?
as far as i know its on the bottom of the pump, costs a few bucks for a new one

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Replacement