2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel pump and Sending Unit Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009 | 12:19 PM
ineedspeed7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel pump and Sending Unit Trouble

Hello All.

I have looked through the forum and found lots of helpful tech tips. I am looking for some help with this issue.
I have replaced the fuel sending unit as well as the fuel pump. Both new.
Now I have no reading on the gas gauge and it is acting like the motor is frozen.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

1995 "W" 4.3 CPI

Old 01-04-2009 | 01:32 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Fuel pump and Sending Unit Trouble

what motor is frozen? And did the gas gauge work b-4? If it did I would look real close at the connectors on top of the tank. But being a 95 you(or someone) was in the tank to switch the pump and the issue could be there. Good luck. jerry

Old 01-04-2009 | 03:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What led you to replace the fuel pump assembly?

If the engine is hydro locked, the initial problem was that the engine would not run. The most likely cause on a CPI motor is a faulty FPR that has now hydro locked the engine with fuel.

Old 01-04-2009 | 05:56 PM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point

where have you gone????but if you're out there....If you still have the old unit and it worked...you could unplug the new one-McGuyver your way to 'jumper' it to the old unit and work the float up and down while an assistant lets you know if the dash gauge responds. I would(as another option) check voltage at the tank connector. You should have 2 grounds, a 12v- 2 second key on fuel pump signal and a 5v(constant) gas gauge feed. If you have a wire with 5v-this is not a guarantee that the issue is in the tank but...I'd bet money it is especially if it worked before. You(or someone) probably got a sender without a pump-together and had to put the pump onto(into) the sending unit possibly creating a no gauge issue. Jerry PS good luck!

Old 01-04-2009 | 08:32 PM

Sorry out working on it. Thanks for the help.
'Peru'
I redropped the tank and checked everything twice. I will crawl back under and put my volt meter to it. I had to put a new sending unit on it because the old one was so rusted it only took one wist and it broke at the hose connection right before the 90.

'swartlkk'
What is the FPR and where can I "KILL" it. Just kidding, is how would I "un" hydro lock?

Bare with me learning as I go on the terms....

Thanks

Old 01-04-2009 | 08:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

FPR == Fuel Pressure Regulator

On the CPI motor, it is under the upper intake plenum. You should check your fuel pressure bleed down (what happens after the pump shuts off) to make sure that you have a pressure bleed down problem before popping the top of the motor off.

As far as un-hydro-locking the motor, pull the plugs. I am betting you will get at least one cylinder that is full of fuel if the FPR has blown to that point.

Old 01-04-2009 | 08:44 PM

OK Thanks. I will pull the plugs and check.

Old 01-04-2009 | 09:30 PM

Said with a pain in the wallet.

#2 cylindar was full of gas.....

FPR -$- correct?

AutoZone has one for $43.

Old 01-05-2009 | 06:51 AM
Administrator

That is typically were it goes. Yes, I would highly suspect the FPR. Pop the upper plenum off of the engine and then pressurize the fuel system again to be sure.

During the course of your repairs, you will also want to change the oil. You can bet that the crankcase has fuel in it now as well.

Old 01-05-2009 | 06:57 AM

Thanks I will try this today.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump and Sending Unit Trouble