2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

fuel pump, spider or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 12:45 AM
jrrybrwn is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Gregg64
AC DELCO OR DELPHI ONLY.or you may be doing it over again.
Yes my plan is to order AC delco from amazon on Monday. The only reason I asked about bosch is because the local part store only has Delphi for $360 or Bosch for $270.
amazon can get the Ac Delco for $160 roughly.

Already learned my lesson with airtex on our truck. Never again!

Old 01-11-2015, 10:01 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

$160 is a great price. Almost too good to be true Make sure it's the entire module, and not just the pump, gotta be genuine AC Delco, not a knock-off. Has to have the AC Delco label on the box. AC Delco & Delphi are the same pumps, (different part number) so that might help in your searches for a good deal, either one is fine.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:52 PM
Starting Member
Gregg64 is on a distinguished road

That is a really good price. i think i paid somewhere around 180 or so at Rock Auto, there really good too.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:27 PM
Starting Member
rxjimmy is on a distinguished road

You guys with 4-doors get off cheap. The 2-dr pump is an additional 20+ for some reason.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by rxjimmy
You guys with 4-doors get off cheap. The 2-dr pump is an additional 20+ for some reason.

I have 1 of each but this is for the 2dr!

Got complete unit with shipping for $155.98 through Amazon. Hopefully it's here Thursday while the weather is decent.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:38 PM
Default not surprised

I finally got fuel pump installed but still wont start. Had enough daylight to check pressure at shraeder valve. primes to about 62. immediately fell off to 58 and sat steady for a few min then slowly fell off to 45 where it stayed.
SO now Im wondering if maybe the module that triggers the spider is bad.

any thoughts?

Old 01-17-2015, 08:17 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Need to verify the pump is good. Just because it's new, doesn't necessarily mean it's good. Check pressure and leakdown at the filter outlet again, and post the results. This link might help: https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...eakdown-88305/

The sensor in the distributor is the camshaft position sensor and it has nothing to do with the injectors or the ignition. The module next to the ignition coil is the ignition control module, it triggers the ignition coil to fire. The PCM controls the injectors and the ignition control module seperately. There may be a problem with something there, but the fuel issue needs to be taken care of, we KNOW there's still a problem there

Old 01-17-2015, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Need to verify the pump is good. Just because it's new, doesn't necessarily mean it's good. Check pressure and leakdown at the filter outlet again, and post the results. This link might help: https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...eakdown-88305/

The sensor in the distributor is the camshaft position sensor and it has nothing to do with the injectors or the ignition. The module next to the ignition coil is the ignition control module, it triggers the ignition coil to fire. The PCM controls the injectors and the ignition control module seperately. There may be a problem with something there, but the fuel issue needs to be taken care of, we KNOW there's still a problem there

I was thinking of one of my older s-10's where the module in the dist controlled injector. I know the control module on these tells pump to prime when you turn key (which it does) so that part is ok.

I'll get fresh eyes on it tomorrow and see where it leads. All the hoses and wires underneath looked ok and connections were tight when I put tank back in but gut feeling says rubber o-ring around pump isn't sealed properly... might explain pressure drop im seeing.

Anyhow, will know more tomorrow.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:58 PM

That's correct, early 95 and older with HEI distributors, the pulse for spark & fuel is generated in the distributor. On late 95 and newer, the pulse is generated at the crankshaft position sensor. Injector and ignition timing are calculated and controlled by the PCM.

A leaky O ring between the tank and the module will not cause a problem with pressure or leakdown. It can cause a leak when the fuel sloshes around in the tank though The results of checking pressure and leakdown at the fuel filter outlet will tell the story.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
That's correct, early 95 and older with HEI distributors, the pulse for spark & fuel is generated in the distributor. On late 95 and newer, the pulse is generated at the crankshaft position sensor. Injector and ignition timing are calculated and controlled by the PCM.

A leaky O ring between the tank and the module will not cause a problem with pressure or leakdown. It can cause a leak when the fuel sloshes around in the tank though The results of checking pressure and leakdown at the fuel filter outlet will tell the story.

Holy crap.... I forgot about the crank position sensor! Ya know, when I was putting engine back together I had 3 of those laying on the bench and couldn't remember which 1 came from which engine LOL
well at least I have spares.

Quick Reply: fuel pump, spider or something else?