2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

fuel pump, spider or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 09:50 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Just an FYI about the crankshaft position sensor: If the crank sensor and or timing cover are moved, removed, replaced, or disturbed in any way, the crankshaft position sensor relearn MUST be performed. If you don't do it, the engine will still start and run, but ignition timing AND injector timing will be incorrect. The relearn is done using a scan tool capable of initiating it.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:25 PM
jrrybrwn is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Just an FYI about the crankshaft position sensor: If the crank sensor and or timing cover are moved, removed, replaced, or disturbed in any way, the crankshaft position sensor relearn MUST be performed. If you don't do it, the engine will still start and run, but ignition timing AND injector timing will be incorrect. The relearn is done using a scan tool capable of initiating it.

So unhooking the battery and then going for a drive to let computer relearn everything doesn't work?
As long it will run to get it to the shop I can let them hook it up.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:29 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Disconnecting the battery will turn off the check engine light ONLY if there are no hard faults present. It does not clear any of the 3 memory files, or reset anything. Nothing is "relearned" by driving it after reconnecting the battery. So, disconnecting the battery does nothing but lose your radio presets, and clock

EDIT: If you have 4WD, disconnecting the battery will set a code in the transfer case control module, (TCCM) that keep alive power was lost. If you have automatic climate control, it will recalibrate itself.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 01-17-2015 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:14 PM

Interesting. Maybe I should invest in one of them new fangled fancy scanner ma jigs since I'll be driving this beast till it rusts to nothing or they bury me in it!!! LOLOL

Old 01-18-2015, 08:45 AM

If you're planning on keeping it, and doing the diagnostics & repairs yourself, it would be in your best interest to invest in a scanner capable of accessing all of the vehicle modules, (PCM, BCM, ABS, TCCM, SRS). When repair shops upgrade their scanners, a lot of them end up on Ebay at reasonable prices, usually starting ~$1500. There are also some excellent software programs available for laptops for under $500. Fuel injection test equipment is a must have on these things. Pressure testers are ~$40, and the necessary adapters can be built for ~$30 with parts readily available at auto parts stores and a hardware store with a good plumbing section, (Lowes, Home Depot etc).

Old 01-18-2015, 07:10 PM
Default Found my leak

Turns out the o-ring in my 15yr old fuel pressure tester is shot. Fiddled with it and got pressure to hold steady at 60psi.(key on engine off)
moved on to no start and swapped the crank sensor and she fired right up.
all good for right now minus the trans line leak at radiator. found that swapping cps.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:42 PM

Woops! Good test equipment is a must

So the crank sensor was the problem. Glad you found it. Just an FYI with the crankshaft position sensor: If/when the crank sensor and/or timing cover are moved, removed, replaced, or disturbed in any way, the crankshaft position sensor relearn MUST be performed with a scan tool capable of initiating it. If you don't, the engine will still start and run, (obviously) but ignition and injector timing will both be incorrect.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Woops! Good test equipment is a must

So the crank sensor was the problem. Glad you found it. Just an FYI with the crankshaft position sensor: If/when the crank sensor and/or timing cover are moved, removed, replaced, or disturbed in any way, the crankshaft position sensor relearn MUST be performed with a scan tool capable of initiating it. If you don't, the engine will still start and run, (obviously) but ignition and injector timing will both be incorrect.

after I figure out this leak I found im going to take it in and have the shop hook it up and do any relearn needed and double check the systems and parameters.