2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel is running Lean

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 10:53 PM
smokin stroker is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dhopson
I have the same problem-P0171 and P0174 codes. No rhyme or reason. One time after 10 drive cycles, the next 1, the next 5, etc... This all started after I had an oil pan leak repaired. The engine was out getting a new gasket set, engine reinstalled and now the codes. Only symptom in the begining was surging when cold-soaked. To date the following has been changed with the problem only getting worse. MAF, IAT, IAC, Fuel Pump, fuel filter, Vapor Canister, 5/8" Vapor Canister Line (kinked), Fuel injectors, and pressure regulator. The EGR was also checked. After all that, it will barely run now. The shop that pulled the engine is getting ready to send it out to a Chevy Dealer to get fixed. They had a "Scan-Man" in and after about 6 hours he gave up. In two of the posts, a prior engine replacement was indicated if I read them right. That could lead to an exhaust leak before the O2 sensors, but they say they have checked that too. Has anyone had any progress yet?
nope i havent had any progress yet but havent really had much time do do anything yet. put a new filter on and a fuel preasure regulator. and still the same thing. now the past few days it seems to be worse. when i had the intake off it looked like a injector coulda been leaky but iam not having a leak down issue it holds preasure and starts fine so idk.. it really kinda fustrateing me but i got another year til it needs to be inspecpected i would like it fixed soon cause of the power and mpg loss

Old 05-11-2011, 07:29 AM
Beginning Member
dhopson is on a distinguished road

I got my Blazer back last night. They gave up and took it to a dealer. They [dealer] had it fixed in a few hours (I hope). According to a previous post in this string, the injectors are NOT supposed to be grounded at the injector (ground comes through a wire only). The dealer replaced two injectors that were grounded and called it fixed. I have put about 10 drive cycles on it, no SES light yet, but I am not about to call it fixed yet. I checked for codes after I put it to bed and there were none. I am hoping. One note though - yesterday, when I first picked up the car, and a few more times, after first starting it (warm or otherwise) for the first minute (+/-) it did not seem to have any engine power. This morning, it was better. They may have did something that requires a "re-learn" at least I hope that is all it is... Will update final results.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Beginning Member
Fivspeed is an unknown quantity at this point

Any update DHopson?

Old 07-07-2011, 04:10 AM
Beginning Member

After about a month all is still great. Running great-no SES. It seems to be fixed knock-on-wood.

Last edited by dhopson; 07-07-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by dhopson
I got my Blazer back last night. They gave up and took it to a dealer. They [dealer] had it fixed in a few hours (I hope). According to a previous post in this string, the injectors are NOT supposed to be grounded at the injector (ground comes through a wire only). The dealer replaced two injectors that were grounded and called it fixed. I have put about 10 drive cycles on it, no SES light yet, but I am not about to call it fixed yet. I checked for codes after I put it to bed and there were none. I am hoping. One note though - yesterday, when I first picked up the car, and a few more times, after first starting it (warm or otherwise) for the first minute (+/-) it did not seem to have any engine power. This morning, it was better. They may have did something that requires a "re-learn" at least I hope that is all it is... Will update final results.

what do you mean by the injectors are not supposed to be grounded and how do i tell if they are???

glad to see yours is fixed and still running great havent done anything to mine other than drive it back and fourth to work... just bought the girl a trailblazer 2 days ago...

Old 07-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Beginning Member

I am an aircraft mechanic. I personally have never looked under the intake, but I would suppose that both the ground and positive wires (2) are connected to the injector. If that is the case, you would check for continuity between the injector [including the connector] and the engine (ground) with every thing unplugged.

This kind of system is not uncommon. An example would be if the positive was hot all the time and the ground would be used to control the pulse width.

Like I said, I have not physically looked at what is under there, so I am just going by what I was told by the tech. I drove the car this weekend and not one hic-cup.

Evidently the Chevy dealer they took it to had a scan tool that looked for that and found it right-away... Hope this helps (-;

Old 07-15-2011, 11:18 AM

so do you think if i put the whole spider assembly in it would be a waste? cause i can get one for pretty much nothing. i figure if it was an injector or something in the assembly i might as well just change it all since i can get it for cheap anyway or possibly nothing... plus let someone barrow my good scaner like three months ago so wont be abe to really narrow it down...

Old 07-18-2011, 06:14 AM
Beginning Member

Like I told you in my earlier post - I do not even know what it looks like under there. I would not want to tell you to do anything that cost money when I am not 100% sure. I am only going on what my mechanic and the Chevy dealership told me.

What I can tell you is that mine is running great now...

Sorry not to be more help.