2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Gas Bandit solutions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 12:13 AM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by odat
The old wise tale of sugar in a gas tank ruining a engine is just that a old wise tale - sugar doesn't break down in gasoline the most it will do is plug up your fuel filter and even if it did the amount of sugar it would take to do any gumming up of anything in a engine the fuel would have to be well beyond syrup
Sugar, dirt, water, urine, etc... I don't want anything in my fuel tank that's not fuel!

Old 09-25-2018, 06:35 AM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tom A
Just get a decal that says, "Diesel Fuel Only" and stick it inside the gas door.
And then don't EVER let anyone fuel it up other than yourself.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:17 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by odat
The old wive's tale of sugar in a gas tank ruining a engine is just that a old wise tale - sugar doesn't break down in gasoline the most it will do is plug up your fuel filter and even if it did the amount of sugar it would take to do any gumming up of anything in a engine the fuel would have to be well beyond syrup
We had somebody pour sugar in the gas tank of one of the vehicles where I work. It just plugged up the filler neck, turned rock solid, and prevented any fuel from going in. It needed a new filler neck, but there was no other damage.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:42 PM
Ms.laleta is on a distinguished road
Default Ex maliciously added something to my 1999 Blazer fuel tank and now won't start

We had somebody pour sugar in the gas tank of one of the vehicles where I work. It just plugged up the filler neck, turned rock solid, and prevented any fuel from going in. It needed a new filler neck, but there was no other damage.

8 days ago my abusive ex boyfriend had put something in my fuel tank and I do not know what.... my gas cap was ripped off and missing and fuel tank door was open with an inverted soccer ball hanging on the open fuel tank door?? whatever that means with the soccer ball I have no clue it almost looks as if he used it as some type of container or funnel to put whatever he put into the fuel tank. Hes done things to sabotage my vehicles in the past such as pump my tires and break my windshield so I am absolutely positive he put something in there I just don't know what it was. I I've seen him in the past search on YouTube what happens if you put bleach in a fuel tank. so I don't know if he put bleach, sugar, water or what. It was raining fairly hard and I don't I know exactly how long the fuel cap and door were opened I don't know if water necessarily could get in just from rainfall however I don't know.

So this is what happened: me being an ignorant person regarding vehicles started the car and drove it to the gas station thinking it started so it must be okay to drive and maybe he just tried to scare me. Now I know if shoul not have even attempted to start the vehicle knowing there was a possibility something head been put in fuel tank.
It started and drove just fine probably about a half a mile to the gas station. it was low on gas but it probably had about 3 gallons in it before I drove it home about 20 miles which I drove it lower than that on gas and I know I should not but my point is is it was not out of gas.

I turn the vehicle off to pump gas but my card didn't work so I didn't end up getting any gas turn the car back on started just fine drove another half a mile home parked it a few hours later I went to go start the car to leave and go somewhere and if cranks but it does not turn over. I also add a gas from a gas can thinking maybe it was just low on gas andand that didn't help anything either the gas gauge actually appears to be working just fine.

I had a mechanic come out and take a look at it and I tried telling him that there was something put into the fuel tank. I I don don't feel like he's hearing me very well when I'm saying this. he's telling me that it's just the fuel pump because he cannot hear it running and did some other things in it led him to believe it was the fuel pump. It starts with starter fluid. and be pretty ironic that the fuel pump just went out the same day that somebody put something into the fuel tank so it may be the cause of the fuel pump going out but he's thinking the fuel pump just needed to be replaced and that's my problem. that's not my problem. my problem is something was added to the fuel tank and now the vehicle doesn't work.

I've looked online I read and did as much research as I possibly can myself I'm a girl who is self-proclaimed ignorant with vehicles although I'm very intelligent and have learned that the fuel tank is a pain in the *** to drop and and drain let alone cleaning out the whole fuel system and whatever else is needed to resolve this issue.
That's where I need help can somebody tell me what steps I need to do first to determine what's in the fuel or do I not even need to worry about that do I just need to clean out the whole fuel system what do I need to do to fix my car can you please tell me I have a mechanic that I can tell what to do if I know from somebody who knows what they're doing regarding this issue can tell me what steps I need to take first and what needs to be done II and just what I need to do in order to get this solved any help would be greatly appreciated the cops don't care and I only have myself that's going to get this done so any help would be a lifesaver....the easiest way possible and cyeaoest I am unemployed and disabled dependent on my vehicle

Last edited by Ms.laleta; 10-09-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:55 PM
BF Veteran

Depending on what was put in the tank, it certainly could have caused the fuel pump to fail. You would have to remove the gas tank to replace the fuel pump, anyway, so that makes it relatively easy to clean out the tank at the same time. I would also change the fuel filter and, after the clean tank is filled with fresh fuel, put a hose on the fuel pressure test port and run the pump for a minute WITHOUT starting the engine (catch the fuel in a bucket or something) to clean out the lines. After that, it should hopefully start and run. It may take a little bit of cranking if there is still water (or whatever) in the injectors, but it should start and run.

Good luck. I'm really sorry to hear you have such a you-know-what for an ex.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:46 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Good that You broke. Guy with a small dick that can't get over it. Having such an *** hole for the end of Your life would be a greater nightmare than a not working ride.

To be honest, together with a fuel pump You may also have the spider injector clogged. From my perspective they are more delicate and precise than the fuel pumps. If You feel the mechanic do not listen, look for another one. Check if somebody there has a surveillance camera, get the record and sue him. I bet there should be a lawyer interested in.

Seriously, for all the situations You all have described in the topic I'd make an exception and install the LPG fuel for my ride[1]. No chance to steal nor contaminate. Plus, it's cheaper (at least in Poland, half of the gas price).

Oh, and, of course, if You ever have any other doubts or questions, need more details or explanations do not hesitate to ask. My answer may seems briefly, but the given question was too general.

[1] I don't like LPG due to loss of power in favor of economy. The LPG inlet cap amongst a friends we call "a cap of shame".

Last edited by Mike.308; 10-09-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:55 PM
BF Veteran

I thought about the injectors, Mike, but any fuel that made it that far would have already gone through the filter. So, hopefully, there wouldn't be any solid material to clog them.

I would still give it a try before tearing into the engine.

Old 10-09-2018, 04:05 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

I thought about the injectors, Mike, but any fuel that made it that far would have already gone through the filter. So, hopefully, there wouldn't be any solid material to clog them.

I would still give it a try before tearing into the engine.
I catch myself often lost with translation to a proper words. What I had on my mind was the sugar solution going through the filter and turning into a solid caramel at the hot ambient area, like injector poppets. So, instead of "clogged" should I write "stuck" I guess
I totally agree You have to give it a try, and if the engine starts, drive gently the next hundred of miles to ensure nothing else pops in.

But the mechanic that is a narrow minded and doesn't listen is not a good omen. As, for example, if I were him, I'd make a fuel pump autopsy that would give me clues what actually happened to the pump and what I may expect later on. But it's personal preference, I've always liked to disassemble things and code

Last edited by Mike.308; 10-09-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:09 PM
BF Veteran

I agree 100%.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:10 PM
Ms.laleta is on a distinguished road
Default Drove 20 miles without battery in car

A few weeks ago i wrote about my ex contaminating my fuel . Thank you everyone for your responses.
Due to my anxiety and ignorance, i failed to mention something that ocurred prior to the fuel contamination i believe is perhaps critical.
Long story I'll try to keep short and yes i understand what a stupid thing it was but this is what happened:
My friend bought a vehicle, we knew it needed a battery so we brought one when picking it up. That battery we put in maybe lasted 5 miles and died in a very dangerous spot on fwy onramp. They took they battery out of my Blazer and put it in the Maxima we we're picking up. Blazer kept running. Blazer battery only about a year old. Maxima started and they drove it home 20 miles with my battery
​​​​I drove without battery in Blazer for probably 17 miles then it died.

They put battery back in Blazer and it started fine with a jump
​started and stopped several times after that before the following occurred:

The security light flashes all the time. As far as i recall it never goes off except maybe while driving it will go off for a while and then flash for a short while but i never paid attention to it because never had a problem and it's always been the same since i owned it.

Periodically the anti theft deterrent alarm will go off on it's its own in middle of night but very seldomly and goes off right away when i unlock door with key.

It did that night.

I drove right after that using my spare key . Started it probably twice with spare. Idk if there is no chip in key but it was cheap when i got that copy made.

​​​​got my regular key and drove home

So the 24-36 hours after the battery incident i drove normally no problems at all.

I do know now the Maxima needs an alternator and so I'm sure it killed my battery i wasnt thinking that cause as i said i had no problem after putting back in Blazer. Drove and started fine.

when i woke in morning that's when gas cap was ripped off and fuel door left open and I'm in Seattle and we had the first rain since summer and it rained hard that night.

I drove a short distabce turning vehicle off and starting and driving just fine 2 times. A few hours later is when it started the crank no start.

​​​​​​Battery died..just started clicking so i took it to O'Reilly's and they said it was dead and wouldn't hold a charge .

Took it to Autozone where it was bought and they charged it right up.

Put battery back in Blazer and a friend attempted to start it with starter fluid which i also learned was STUPID. It did start for a moment but also caught on fire. Fire put out with extinguisher. A small shot. It melted the pcv valve hose and another vacuum line i believe connected to egr or somewhere in that region. I have a pic and AutoZone guy said that's what it was.

I put gas and heet in Blazer, charged battery, there's fuel pressure, but still just cranking no start except once when there was fuel put directly in engine. You can hear the fuel pump come on.

The security light a few days ago would flash when key was in on position and go off about 3 seconds later when I thought I would try the relearn key process. Never did relearn cause light was going off so quick. Now today, it's flashing security non stop and not going off at all to my knowledge.

I am positive though my ex took off gas cap leaving fuel door open. Not sure if or what he added to it, or if it was just water from rain?

I had to special order the pcv hose that I am getting ready to pick up now. AutoZone said it would start with out that however.

I guess my biggest question is "what do you think may have happened?"

I've now learned the voltage is too high if you run a car without the battery in it. Did that cause electrival or other damage? is my battery damaged now from being in the Maxima draining it?

​​​​​The crank is exactly the same crank sound before and after the fire. I don't think the fire is cause of it not starting still. Possibly caused new damage but as I said sounds the same as before and after fire.

By it raining and fuel door open with no cap all night, could enough water get in tank to cause it to do what it is now the crank no start? My fuel was very low not empty and I have since put additional gas from can and a gas cap.

Could using the spare key and then regular key, battery thing, gas cap ripped off and ??? Trigger the anti theft eventually? Idk if the sensors could be a gradual thing like after multiple sensors trigger it arms itself or if just one thing will arm it or if that's even a possibility that's what it could be making it not start.

I also read something about the ignition control module or something with the ignition?

Please give me your thoughts. I have no money and no help really and I really appr3ciated any ideas or steps to take