2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Gas line fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2024 | 04:30 PM
|
Beginning Member
mugenmundo is on a distinguished road
Post Gas line fixed!

Backstory:
So, as stated on my previous post, my gas line disintegrated as I pulled the broken brake line. The brake line leak must have just accelerated the erosion, because all the lines near the brake line leak were in very rough shape. I would have loved to replaced with stainless steel lines, however, the clearance between the frame and the body is about an inch. I am going to postpone the proper fix in lieu of a plastic gas line after I lift the truck ZR2 package ride height.

Actual Fix:
I ordered myself a nylon kit from Amazon. For around 60 bucks, you get everything you need to replace the original gas line. But, I had a few issues with going down this path. First, it would require I remove the gas line from the front rail and at the rear of the tank. My gas line was only bad from the filter back to the tank area. I figured I could buy a 10ft nylon line and a couple of fittings and make my own line. Also the new fuel filter is not the same as OEM. The GM filter has a quick connect on the outlet side and a flare nut on the entry side. I figured It would be easier to change the filter by buying the same oem over and over. So what you need is a 10ft nylon gas line, one 90deg gas quick connect, one nylon to metal coupler, a repair gas line pipe with flare nut and new filter lots of good quality nylon zip ties. Ok so first you need to remove the pressure from the gas line by pulling the relay and attempting to start the truck. Drain the residual gas in a safe container and dispose off. My filter was seized on there pretty good. Took lots of effort to turn the flare nut. 5/8 flare nut wrench and 3/4 open end wrench did the trick. Now the nylon gas line is too long, so press the 90deg nylon to one end. I used the brake line flare tool vise and caulk gun method to press it in. To install the gas line, you have to reach from the driver side rear wheel well. There is an access flap you can lift, and you can barely get your arm through there. Pinch and pull the gas line from the pump. You could drop the tank to have easier access to the top of the pump, but I found it to be unnecessary. There will be a short nylon gas line from GM. This piece of flexible hose is what makes the transition from the metal line to the tank, possible to allow for lowing of the tank. I ran the new line from the pump to the filter so this part is no longer required. Now route the nylon generally in the same path as the original. This is being the safest location and also allows you to have something to tie too. plug the line in the same place you removed the previous line. Now you have to prep the fuel filter. If you are going to do as I did and keep the original filter part model, then you have to make a adapter. Use the gas line repair pipe with flare nut and cut the end with no nut. I used a midget pipe cutter, but any pipe cutter would work the same. Clean the end from burrs and file to smooth surface. Now you have to install the coupler metal side of the pipe. Using to wrenches snug the coupler to the pipe. Back at the filter on the truck. Remove the filter completely. These truck have a plastic clamp holding it to the frame "13mm socket". Take the filter out and remove the bracket and install on a new filter. Follow by mounting the new filter back in the original location. Now make sure you double-check your line length and mark it. Pull it back some so you have Slack to work with. Install the coupler to the nylon line with a couple of wrenches. Install the flare nut end to the new filter and presto you have a new nylon gas line. Replace the relay and prime the truck and make sure you don't have any leaks after the truck starts and is running. Also make sure to tie down the nylon line anywhere it's free to fall or touch a metal surface. The nylon is not rigid like metal, so it will damage easily with friction.

Conclusion:
This may not the ideal repair, but it works and its quick and easy. If you're worried about the nylon line, just remember the GM used the nylon line to make the transition from the tank to the metal lines. The nylon line does sit above the tank and is tucked away from any possible exposure to flying debris or accidental damage. Again, not the ideal solution but an affordable one. Make sure the line on the tank is secure. You should hear an audible double click when the connected snaps in. be careful not to exert to much effort when doing a tug test. The pump outlet is plastic, and a broken pipe here means new pump Assembly. You can also reach from under the truck behind the rear diff. It's not as accessible, but if your arms are long enough you can manage to have a better grasp IMO. Lastly, you could omit the filter adapter and buy a filter with double quick connects and install a second straight quick connect to the line.

Old 04-04-2024 | 06:41 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Great write up!

Old 04-10-2024 | 02:51 PM
puttster will become famous soon enough

Looks like it will outlast the rest of the car ;-)

Old 04-11-2024 | 07:22 AM
|
Beginning Member

It's possible, the Midwest winters have not been good to the frame. This is why im using the truck as my daily driver now. I need to use it before it rust away on me. But the rumors are true this trucks start having problem around 80k I'm at 72k and already have a list of repairs to do.

Old 04-11-2024 | 07:23 AM
|
Beginning Member

Old 04-15-2024 | 02:04 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christine_208
Great write up!
+1, nice pictures.

George