2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

General question about Overdrive.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 09:13 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough
Default Engine RPM vs. Speedometer speed calculation

This got me interested and was going to work out the relationship between engine speed and vehicle speed but of course there is a website calculator for that.

Combined with your tire size, you can check your what your final transmission gear ratio must be for the combination of rpm and speedometer reading.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/
https://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_speed_rpm.htm

For example, for 235/75R15 tires, a final rear-end ratio of 3.73:1, final transmission ratio of 0.7:1, an engine speed of 2000 rpm corresponds to about 66 mph.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:24 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Scott Regier
I respectfully disagree with Hanr3. When I am going freeway speed ~ 70 mph my Blazer is cranking out about 2400 rpm's and gets 16 mpg. The other s10's I have driven with overdrive as indicated by the D with andO around it hit between 1500 and below 2000 rpm's at the same speed. I have an automatic WITHOUT overdrive.
The specs on a 2001 Blazer state mileage at 16 city/23 highway - I get 11 city/16 highway. Don't try to convince me I have overdrive. (Not trying to be sarcastic.)
Yes, I know that 1st gear and first and so on, I don't require remediation in that area.
Regarding mileage, I would only expect 16 mpg at 70 mph on a good day. These are not very aerodynamic vehicles with mileage for me dropping once I get much above 60/65 mph.

Also, I have always attributed the 23 mpg on highway for the 2wd, 3.08:1 rear-end ratio Blazers.

What rear end ratio do you have?

GT4 = 3.73:1
GU6 = 3.42:1
GU2 = 3.08:1

Old 02-07-2018, 10:11 PM
Scott Regier is on a distinguished road

Thanks Christine. That would be great info if I knew the ratios.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:23 PM

You answered what no one else came up with and one that I suspected. Apparently I have a GU6 3.24 from the RPO code. Certainly explains the rpm's. But, why change the rear differential? You are not going to do serious 4 wheeling in 4th gear anyway. Leave it for gas mileage.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:25 PM

Actually, it looks like I have a G80. I have no idea what the other numbers mean.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If that is the RPO sticker from your truck, you have GT4 - 3.73 gears. 3.73 gears are typically used for towing applications. G80 just means that the rear axle is equipped with the gov-lock differential (an automatic locking differential).

Old 02-07-2018, 10:47 PM
BF Veteran

My Blazer has the GT4 ratio and G80 locking rear end. I'm glad I have it even if it means not so great mileage as I have it for towing and hunting/fishing.

BTW, here is one service that can help with decoding your codes. I forget if it cost me much. Comprehensive Chevrolet, Saturn, GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Geo, Dodge, Plymouth, Jeep, Chrysler, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Truck, Mercedes VIN Decoder

Old 02-07-2018, 11:01 PM
BF Veteran

Thanks Christine. That would be great info if I knew the ratios.
Here's something you might find useful:

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/doc...let-Blazer.pdf

Old 02-07-2018, 11:04 PM
Default Towing

Yep, that's the differential I have. Explains the whole mess.
However, this is what I got from the online calculator. Not exactly positive on the transmission ratio and the speed calculator does not match the RPM's I experience.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:26 PM
BF Veteran

Yep, that's the differential I have. Explains the whole mess.
However, this is what I got from the online calculator. Not exactly positive on the transmission ratio and the speed calculator does not match the RPM's I experience.
I see your point. Those numbers are not what one would expect given the raw data available.

What size tires are you running? If not stock, the speed reported by the speedometer will be off.

For instance, with my 30" tires my speedometer under-reports my speed by about 3%.

Have you checked your speedometer against a GPS or could the tachometer be off?

I have an OBD-II monitor by Ultra-gauge that I use to monitor the transmission temperature. I've never bothered to look but I'm sure it and other similar monitors can independently check engine speed.

Quick Reply: General question about Overdrive.