2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Is This a Genuine Acdelco Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 09:18 PM
CAB
Starting Member
CAB is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by midnightbluS10
Have you bought any non-common, non-maintenance part from the dealership lately? Like a window switch, and instrument cluster, or a turn signal lever? I work at one and handle new Delco parts all day, every day. 95% of all of the parts I install are in plain brown boxes with a single Delco label on them.

Spark plugs, wires, oil filters, air filters, etc...are usually in the "graphic" Delco box. Anything else will come in a normal cardboard box.
I am only telling what my experience is and the fact that he bought a pump and was in serious doubt about what it was. He asked for pictures and I posted what I had. The pump I got was bought this year and it is in the box pictured not a plain brown one. You work at a stealership so you know what they come in. I guess I fall in the 5% of boxed parts. Either way this is a good discussion.

Last edited by CAB; 08-05-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:51 AM
porkfriedrice is on a distinguished road

Since the pump didn't come with a strainer, I went ahead and got a new one Acdelco part #TS29. Well, I'm having the same problem as the guy in this thread: https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...trainer-68486/ Hopefully I'm just doing it wrong, but I can't tell how the strainer attaches to the bottom of the pump. Pictures to show what I'm talking about:

Name:  ArUKtl.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  48.3 KB

Name:  SeXg7l.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  44.2 KB

Name:  E9v60l.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  22.8 KB

Name:  k6KYal.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  18.0 KB

If this is the wrong strainer, does anyone know which one to get?

Old 08-16-2012, 03:09 AM

I think I'll send an email to the person at GM that said the pump was genuine. Strange that it doesn't come with a strainer, but the ones available for purchase that are supposed to fit don't. Unless I'm doing it wrong.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:14 PM
CAB
Starting Member
CAB is on a distinguished road

Here is what mine looks like. It was installed on the pump when bought. I didn't have to put it on.

Attached Thumbnails Is This a Genuine Acdelco Fuel Pump?-img_0952.jpg   Is This a Genuine Acdelco Fuel Pump?-img_0953.jpg  

Last edited by CAB; 08-16-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:24 AM

Here is the reply I got from Marci at GM, she forwarded me an email sent to her from someone else at the company:

Marci,

I can answer the customer's question. Please feel free to forward my e-mail. The pump he purchased is a newer design and does not require an external strainer. The strainer is incorporated into the bucket assembly. An external strainer is neither necessary nor recommended.
============================

So I guess the newer MU1733 doesn't use a strainer? When I was searching around the internet looking for info about the strainer, I read somewhere that it actually acts like a wick and aids the pump in picking up fuel from the bottom of the tank. Will this design make it harder for the pump to pick up fuel?

Should I start a thread specifically letting people know about this? I'm sure there will be others wondering the same thing when they buy a new pump.

Oh yeah, thanks once again for the pictures CAB.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:24 AM
Presti7 is an unknown quantity at this point

That is the same AC Delco pump I got. I stared at for an hour trying to figure out how to put the strainer on it. I also wondered if I was supposed to pop open that little plastic cap on that bottom tube.

I threw it in and got 60 psi, but am having some problem of not quite enough fuel to idle. It better not be their new pump design!!

Old 08-22-2012, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Presti7
That is the same AC Delco pump I got. I stared at for an hour trying to figure out how to put the strainer on it. I also wondered if I was supposed to pop open that little plastic cap on that bottom tube.

I threw it in and got 60 psi, but am having some problem of not quite enough fuel to idle. It better not be their new pump design!!
Crap. I'm a little worried that this pump won't perform well because of the changes to the design. I'll find out, I guess.

Has anyone else purchased/installed the new design Acdelco pump and had any issues, or maybe chime in on what Presti was talking about?

Old 11-30-2012, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by porkfriedrice
Crap. I'm a little worried that this pump won't perform well because of the changes to the design. I'll find out, I guess.

Has anyone else purchased/installed the new design Acdelco pump and had any issues, or maybe chime in on what Presti was talking about?
Since I linked to this thread in a reply to another thread, I figured I'd better update it to say that after the pump installation the truck ran fine and there didn't seem to be any issues with the new pump design. Unfortunately, a couple months after I put the new pump in the truck was in an accident and totaled so I can only say that the pump was working great for those few months.