2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Getting ready to pull out the shottie

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 11:16 PM
Starting Member
stupidlogin is on a distinguished road
Default Getting ready to pull out the shottie

Long time viewer, first time poster. Be gentle...

97 Chevy Blazer, 2 door, automatic

Overheated on the freeway coming home in 105 degree heat. Managed to pull over when I noticed the Check Gauges light.

Got it home, but had to stop a few times. Long story short...had to replace the thermostat. Kept cool for about a week.

On the way home on the freeway, the engine died. Can't start again, checked fluids. No water in reservoir. On a lark, checked the oil only to find it ain't the clear dark fluid. Almost a greenish yellow. Figured I got the antifreeze/coolant in the oil.

Checking out this and other forums, figured it's a bad head, probably due to over heating. In my zeal to get it fixed (and not pay someone $2k) I started tearing into the sucker. After a week of dealing with the thing, I still haven't gotten the heads off to even inspect the gaskets. Intake off, everything tied over to the sides. Can't seem to get past the driver side exhaust manifold moving far enough away to get to the bolts along the bottom of the head.

I guess I'm looking for some guidance; not a big mechanic but I follow instructions fairly well. But this has got me to the point of wanting to shoot it. I'm looking at that driver side exhaust manifold not moving and it looks like it has something to do with the heat shield that's there. I saw one really hard to remove bolt on the front of it but it seems like there's something in the middle of it holding it in place.

Sorry if I'm wordy. If a picture would help, I can get one.

Mike

Old 08-07-2012, 08:26 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

First of all how do you know you have a cracked head? it could be a lower intake gasket, head gasket, cracked block? Shouldn't you figure out where the problem is before you try & fix it???

Old 08-07-2012, 08:39 PM
rockNnachos is on a distinguished road

Coolant in the oil usually looks tan in color, not greenish yellow. If you do have coolant, I wouldn't expect to find a head gasket or cracked head as the cause, I'd suspect the intake manifold gaskets. I've yet to see the head gasket on one of these let oil and coolant mix.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Beginning Member
burnitup is on a distinguished road

did you get the all the hangers unbolted from the exhaust and its free check under truck to see if its in a bind else where.