2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Gonna be replacing fuel pump, just looking for pointers

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 06:06 PM
cage47 is on a distinguished road

I still wonder why the replacement wire connector. Mine was good. Wiring was all good. Guess that good old dry Texas. But it didn't need replacing. But to wrap up. got the tank back up and all put back together. The only bugger was getting that front vent tube connected. The hose is too short to have the tank down too far to get a hand in there. Had to reach in between the frame and the body.

Didn't have to replace much. all filler hoses were good. and I kept the old pump. Truck fires right over now. And it's got power back. Aside from fixing the broken fittings on the sending unit fuel lines, all that NEEDED replacing was the strainer.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Starting Member
awe341 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cage47
I still wonder why the replacement wire connector. Mine was good. Wiring was all good. Guess that good old dry Texas. But it didn't need replacing. But to wrap up. got the tank back up and all put back together. The only bugger was getting that front vent tube connected. The hose is too short to have the tank down too far to get a hand in there. Had to reach in between the frame and the body.

Didn't have to replace much. all filler hoses were good. and I kept the old pump. Truck fires right over now. And it's got power back. Aside from fixing the broken fittings on the sending unit fuel lines, all that NEEDED replacing was the strainer.
There have been so many problems with the plugs going bad on these pumps (even if they look good still) that many of the aftermarket pumps actually changed the style of the plug to a much larger and beefier design.

Something to remember on any fuel pump is to be sure that you are getting 12v to the pump. The pump will run on low voltage and even put out enough pressure to run the vehicle but it will burn out very quickly. (this is one of the problems that the old plugs can cause)

Old 06-24-2009, 03:06 PM
cage47 is on a distinguished road

Again, don't think that'll be a problem as my original fuel pump wasn't bad. Just a clogged strainer. But I kept the unused parts just in case.