2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Heater Core, could it be something else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 08:25 PM
FirehawkNS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Heater Core, could it be something else?

Sorry about starting so many threads, but having just bought a fairly high mileage blazer and having to check out things leads to this.

Anyway, Saturday I noticed a smell in the truck, when I took the mats out there was moisture/water on the carpet on the passenger side, but not the driver side. I did some searching and found the heater core to be the primary cause. Well I dried it all out and didn't notice it after that. Well today I noticed that there was moisture/water on the driver side, but not the passenger side. I dried it out. Now since it's been 105 degrees out I obviously haven't been running the heat, but I have been running the AC. I tried running the AC and Heat and pulling the carpet out and seeing if I could see a trickle of water, but I never saw any. The times I have noticed the water was after the AC has ran for a while. Could it be condensation from the AC backing up? Where and how would I check the drain? I know it dumps out on the pass side under the car, but couldn't find a tube, where is it?

Things to note, it hasn't rained here in over 4 weeks, It hasn't been washed in almost 2 weeks. I guess if I don't get another suggestion I will bypass the heater core and see if I get any moisture, just trying to figure out since there is a mildewy smell that I smell on the carpet.

Ah the joy of new used cars! *sigh*

Old 08-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Heater Core, could it be something else?

It is quite possible that you have a stopped up A/C evaporator drain. I found it easiest to remove the inner fender when I cleaned my A/C evaporator drain. You then have clear access to the underside of the HVAC housing in the engine compartment. Basically remove the battery, battery tray, PCM, PCM tray, and the coolant recovery tank, then unbolt the inner fender. The drain will be located directly above the frame rail in the bottom of the plastic HVAC housing. It will be right where the housing meets the firewall.

Does the moisture smell like coolant?

Old 08-15-2007, 06:09 AM

It has a sorta musty smell to me, I don't think I am smelling coolant. Although when I went to the folks house one day last weekend, my dad noted that it smelt a tad like rotten fish (this was after a long drive with the AC running) and I have heard people describe Dex-cool as smelling like that to them, I either got used to it or it wasn't as bad as he said because I didn't smell that. I have steam cleaned the carpet and threw down some Fa breeze and got some of those new car smell things, so right now it is a combo of smells! lol

Anyway, thanks for the run down on how to check the drain. I read in my searching it might be that, but didn't find a run down as most people were focusing on it being rain water getting in. I am praying I don't have to tear into the Dash just yet, so this thread was a despreate attempt to find another answer.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:53 AM

ok, I got the inner fender off, but I don't see where water is supposed to drain from. There was water draining out of the seem of the plastic housing all the way down to the firewall, but I don't see a tube or anything. Am I supposed too?

Old 08-18-2007, 10:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There should be a hole where that seem meets the firewall.