2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Heater hose

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 04:46 AM
puttster is on a distinguished road
Default Heater hose

I blew a heater hose and ordered two of them, they will get here today. However, I see a few threads here where the swap might be trickier than I thought. Folks have trouble with couplers/connectors? Like people can't remove them or breaking and having to drill them out or re-thread the intake, etc. Should I have ordered 2 or 4 new connectors along with the hoses? I see Dorman sells a connector removal tool... Just wondering what I've got myself into maybe another rabbit hole. Maybe I should just repair the hose in-place...??

Looking for some guidance on changing out the hoses.

Last edited by puttster; 08-25-2023 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-25-2023, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by puttster
I blew a heater hose and ordered two of them, they will get here today. However, I see a few threads here where the swap might be trickier than I thought. Folks have trouble with couplers/connectors? Like people can't remove them or breaking and having to drill them out or re-thread the intake, etc. Should I have ordered 2 or 4 new connectors along with the hoses? I see Dorman sells a connector removal tool... Just wondering what I've got myself into maybe another rabbit hole. Maybe I should just repair the hose in-place...??

Looking for some guidance on changing out the hoses.

I can't even get this hose holder off!

Maybe my 2002 doesn't use connectors? These hoses look just clamped on.

Old 08-25-2023, 10:16 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by puttster

I can't even get this hose holder off!

Maybe my 2002 doesn't use connectors? These hoses look just clamped on.
Those are spring clamps at the firewall. They are not too hard to get off with a large set of pliers.

I did buy a remote spring-clamp tool to help with some of the other spring clamps. It was handy for the ones in the tighter spots. It has had a ratchet mechanism to hold the spring open. I think I got it at a NAPA store.

This is one by Eastman.

Old 08-25-2023, 05:42 PM

For those who wonder how to remove the 2-hose bracket, there is no need to cut off the top. What's on top is a hinge, It snaps on the bottom😖

I found the leak at the intake clamp. A job for tomorrow.

Last edited by puttster; 08-27-2023 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-26-2023, 01:15 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Agree with above on the clamps whole heartedly as posted above. As for removing the hoses, if they won't come off, and I've never had a hose come off, cut them off. When I say cut them off, use an old knife that is sharp enough to do the job or a box cutter. Slit the hose from the end, over the "bulge" in the tubing and peel it off. After years of being on there they tend to attach themselves to the tubing. Just work your way through the hose and don't press down with all your might, No sense in damaging the tubing, as it is pretty thin. I prefer the box cutter for this. No sense in ruining a good knife and razor blades are cheap. You might have to use some pliers to get the cut hose off. Make sure you clean up the connecter with some steel wool or an abrasive pad before putting the hose back on.

Again, don't try to cut the hose in one attempt. You don't want to cut into the metal, or through it. Again, another good reason for the box cutter.

Old 08-26-2023, 09:57 AM

Thanks AJ, best tip ever. Pulled off the clamp with channel locks, took my time carving with a utility knife. This intake-to-heater hose was 20 years old, blade cut through like butter. For my 2002, there were no plastic connectors, just old fashioned hose nipple and clamps.

In pic is the original leak, just above the clamp at the intake. It's only maybe 1/4" wide, which quickly drained all my water. Actually, I had been losing water for a while, maybe a half gallon a month. I ignored it thinking it was the LIM. I guess it was the hose.

Got the heater-to-pump hose today. I put it on but the one I replaced was itself a replacement, in pretty good shape. The clamp at the pump was a worm clamp, necessary in order to get a good angle on it. Okay, job done. Total time 4-5 hours. I could do it faster next time.

​​

Last edited by puttster; 08-27-2023 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-26-2023, 06:15 PM
Stovey will become famous soon enough

Channel lock pliers work well for spring clamps. The hoses will break free if you insert a pick between the hose and the nipple, and work it around the hose. Then twist and pull.